Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaky Touchscreen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the same issue with my 2013 Model S with 46K miles. Contacted Tesla Tech Support. I hope Tesla fix it under warranty since I am an early Tesla car owner and it seems to be an issue with all early Model S.

The clear liquid is very sticky and is very difficult to clean. It feels like tree sap. It took me awhile to realize that the screen was leaking.
I have the same exact problem with my 2013 Model S. They're replacing the screen and computer for a cost of $2000. This seems like it should be a recall issue to me given how many people have the same situation.

So I developed the bubbles on my CPO 2013 Tesla S not on the main touchscreen but on the Instrument Cluster ahead of the Steering Column... Will they only replace this screen? Or will they also replace the touchscreen? Will the change in the screen also need an MCU upgrade?

I have already scheduled the Service Appointment through my App and it is scheduled for the 17th of August. I just want to make sure I am getting what has normally been done for other Tesla owners..

So I developed the bubbles on my CPO 2013 Tesla S not on the main touchscreen but on the Instrument Cluster ahead of the Steering Column... Will they only replace this screen? Or will they also replace the touchscreen? Will the change in the screen also need an MCU upgrade?

I have already scheduled the Service Appointment through my App and it is scheduled for the 17th of August. I just want to make sure I am getting what has normally been done for other Tesla owners..

I don't think I have seen someone complain about the IC forming bubbles before. But I would think that Tesla would only replace it. It is an entirely separate computer/display system, so there would be no need/reason to replace the touchscreen or upgrade the MCU.

Glad to find this thread. My 2013 S developed the bubbles last summer. Car was fine when I left for vacation--upon return 2 weeks later, bubbles in the screen. Tesla refused to replace under warranty because the warranty expired during my vacation. Now the screen is leaking. Likely going to have to bite the bullet and replace.

Wouldn't you be out of warranty? So you are really wanting them to cover it under goodwill?
Yes because it's a factory defect and really poor quality and should be under warranty for life. Mine is a 2014 model s with 65.000 miles screen changed twice under warranty and now is leaking again after less than 2 years, $1500 is the cost to have it replaced.
Reality is that screen is too big glass sunroof has no cover and the sun is hitting the screen with nothing protecting it, this is a design defect and Mr Elon should know better. There is a reason why no other automaker is using such a big screen in their cars and the reason is that it did not pass all the test to be sure the part will work at least for the first 6 / 7 years of the car life.