Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learn from my mistake: locked out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
I'm always telling my children (and junior colleagues, for that matter) about my previous errors, and try to help them learn from those errors.
Tesla-wise:
I parked outside the café where I always buy breakfast for the weekend staff. Left the car key in my bag in the back seat. I do this twice a fortnight.
Came out with the goods, but the car wouldn't open to my touch.
Bugger.
I reach for my phone to unlock: oops. In my bag. With the key. On the back seat.
Long story short: I found a PAYPHONE and called directory assistance then Tesla assistance. They unlocked the car remotely (after sensible security measures).
**** a duck. Could have been a major problem!!!
As it was, I was late to work.
I hate that.
Anyhow: I will learn from this. Hope you don't have to.

The key fob is polled by a low power radio signal. It's very easy to accidentally block this by having the key in proximity to metal. Moral of the story is, leave the fob in your pocket, and be sure to choose one that's not got other metal bits in it, including your phone. I put it in the same pocket as my wallet. Never have I experienced any issues.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
I'm always telling my children (and junior colleagues, for that matter) about my previous errors, and try to help them learn from those errors.
Tesla-wise:
I parked outside the café where I always buy breakfast for the weekend staff. Left the car key in my bag in the back seat. I do this twice a fortnight.
Came out with the goods, but the car wouldn't open to my touch.
Bugger.
I reach for my phone to unlock: oops. In my bag. With the key. On the back seat.
Long story short: I found a PAYPHONE and called directory assistance then Tesla assistance. They unlocked the car remotely (after sensible security measures).
**** a duck. Could have been a major problem!!!
As it was, I was late to work.
I hate that.
Anyhow: I will learn from this. Hope you don't have to.
Whats amazing about this story has nothing to do with Tesla or your car.

You found a payphone? wow.

I decided since over 2/3 of the times I exit the car it is when arriving into my garage, that I would switch off the auto lock. It is convenient for the car to be unlocked for getting access without needing to get the key. I wish the auto lock feature was GPS enabled, so that it locked itself when away from home but not when at home.

The key fob is polled by a low power radio signal. It's very easy to accidentally block this by having the key in proximity to metal. Moral of the story is, leave the fob in your pocket, and be sure to choose one that's not got other metal bits in it, including your phone. I put it in the same pocket as my wallet. Never have I experienced any issues.
Yup, good strategy. No metal in the same pocket of my leather briefcase, but my phone was only a few cms away. From the way everything was arranged in my bag, I was surprised the signal could be blocked, but it obviously was (even though the bloody key was able to unlock the car from the same position in the bag to start with!).
Fob pocket obvs an excellent option...

I’m totally amazed you found a PAYPHONE.

I always liked Apple products, my first was an Apple ][ when I was a nipper. Now I’m a codger, I have a problem paying anywhere from around $450 to over $2,000 for a watch that will be superseded in 12 months or less. I have no problem paying more than that if it’s a classic mechanical movement but you can’t control a Model S with a Tudor. The answer is a (USD)$199 Pebble. Mine is superseded already (just like my Model S) but I really don’t care. Next time I’ll buy a lower spec Tesla too.

Pebble Time 2 + Heart Rate | Pebble Smartwatch | Smartwatch for iPhone & Android

Now I’m a codger, I have a problem paying anywhere from around $450 to over $2,000 for a watch that will be superseded in 12 months or less. I have no problem paying more than that if it’s a classic mechanical movement but you can’t control a Model S with a Tudor. The answer is a (USD)$199 Pebble. Mine is superseded already (just like my Model S) but I really don’t care. Next time I’ll buy a lower spec Tesla too.

Entry price for apple watch is now US$269. Pretty good deal. I used to wear a pebble, and loved the 7 day battery life, but the apple watch really does so much more.

I'm always telling my children (and junior colleagues, for that matter) about my previous errors, and try to help them learn from those errors. I will learn from this. Hope you don't have to.

Thanks for this. Most useful to learn from others experience. I'm actually pretty amazed that Tesla would remotely open the car for you. Great to hear that is an option.

Entry price for apple watch is now US$269. Pretty good deal. I used to wear a pebble, and loved the 7 day battery life, but the apple watch really does so much more.

Unfortunately the least expensive Series 1 Apple Watches are around AUD $400 - $450 here in Oz, not water resistant, 1 day battery, display not always on. Pebble Series 2 Watches are AUD $170 - $265, water resistant to 30m, up to 10 day battery and always on display. I don’t know much about Apple Watches, what do they do that Pebble Watches don’t?

Unfortunately the least expensive Series 1 Apple Watches are around AUD $400 - $450 here in Oz, not water resistant, 1 day battery, display not always on. Pebble Series 2 Watches are AUD $170 - $265, water resistant to 30m, up to 10 day battery and always on display. I don’t know much about Apple Watches, what do they do that Pebble Watches don’t?

Don't really want to steer this off topic, but since you asked :) For me it comes down to the eco-system - if you use apple devices, the apple watch extends it to your wrist in a seamless way that no other manufacturer can come close to. From siri, through apps, notifications, and apple pay.

I think this is a fair comparison:

Pebble Time vs Apple Watch: Which is the best smartwatch to buy?

And to bring it back on-topic, either a Pebble or Apple smartwatch paired to your phone in the car, should be able to unlock it from your wrist. With the apple watch you could also call Tesla from the watch (Dick Tracy style)

gear5b-4-web.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how many people in HK would buy an Apple Watch if it could take the place of your Octopus card. I thought I heard that they were going to introduce some very common NFC functionality in Japan. I don't recall the name of that NFC system.

Thanks. Sort of like Apple Pay?
Yes it is NFC like Apple Pay but it is even more ubiquitous than payment terminals that accept Apple Pay in the States. Basically any vendor who would normally take cash that has a modern cash register has an Octopus terminal. It is also used on every subway turnstile and every bus as the primary fare collection method. Because it's a separate debit account, people don't use it for larger purchases but use conventional credit cards instead.