Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learn from my mistake: locked out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... Very interesting...

It has limitations, of course - the watch has to be able to talk to the phone or Wi-Fi, the phone has to talk to cellular or Wi-Fi, and the car has to talk to cellular or Wi-Fi (and the app has to have been logged in to a valid my Tesla account for the car at some recent point,) but in the described scenario with the phone on but in the car, it should have no problem unlocking the car if those basic conditions are met.

It has limitations, of course - the watch has to be able to talk to the phone or Wi-Fi, the phone has to talk to cellular or Wi-Fi, and the car has to talk to cellular or Wi-Fi (and the app has to have been logged in to a valid my Tesla account for the car at some recent point,) but in the described scenario with the phone on but in the car, it should have no problem unlocking the car if those basic conditions are met.
Seems it would be easier to keep the fob in pocket.

• Funny
Reactions: RichardMcN
While we're on this topic - isn't the only way to use summon to leave the key in the car???

That's what I've done in situations where I've thought I would need it. I.e. parked in a loading zone while waiting for a park behind the loading zone to be free, etc....

Reactions: BenT
If you locked fone and phob in the car could you borrow a friend or family members smart phone, download the tesla app and then unlock the car? If you didn't trust your friend you could immediately delete the app. Alternatively could I add the tesla app to my wife's phone and call her to unlock it if I locked myself out?

This is a female problem, and I'm not sure how you solve it. As a man, I keep my key fob in one pocket and my phone in another. The chance of me leaving both accidentally in the car at the same time and having my key in a place where it won't be recognized in the car are so remote, the chance can probably legally be considered zero. However, women often keep both the key and their phone in a purse, and for good reason. They frequently carry purses which pack ample storage space, and often don't have pants pockets.

I would recommend women pressure the clothing industry to start putting more pockets on pants. Pockets are quite useful. If I were a woman, I might would still keep the keys in a purse (because keys can occasionally be annoying in a pocket, and open you up to accidental button push risk) but the phone would go in a pants pocket.

Then again, most of you perhaps might take your phone out and dock it. Still harder to forget than hidden in a purse, but also not in your pocket. So pockets might not be as helpful to some. I always keep my phone in my pocket in the car, unless it's near dead and desperately needs a charge, which for me is a rare thing.

Historically, this wasn't as much a problem, because the key had to go into the ignition, and you had to do something with that key when you stop, greatly decreasing the risk of accidentally leaving it in the car. Now that you don't need to insert the key into the car, the risk is far greater. One of the negatives of keyless ignition (not to suggest the negatives outweigh the positives, but just saying it wasn't all positives)

I have automatic doors lock, so I had the same problem few time, for example
when parking if front of an ATM machine and forgetting to take my fob with me.
So why not using a "Hide-a-Key" to store a spare fob inside a bumper?

images

I've actually got a better idea, which stems from my desire to go surfing and not need to worry about my key in some shitty surf lock.

If you could go to the menu, just under Valet mode, and set surf mode. then lock the key in the car.

To open the car, you need to enter a combination of door handle touches, get it wrong, and you're locked out for 30 minutes, or as you define in the settings...

While we're on this topic - isn't the only way to use summon to leave the key in the car???

That's what I've done in situations where I've thought I would need it. I.e. parked in a loading zone while waiting for a park behind the loading zone to be free, etc....

Actually the new third party iPhone/watch app this week, Tesla Toolkit, can do Summon from the watch, too. (Remote S used to be able to do this as well, but lost the ability when Tesla changed the API and hasn't recovered it yet.)

I'm not sure if the car needs to see the fob nearby or not, but it certainly doesn't have to be inside the car.

To open the car, you need to enter a combination of door handle touches, get it wrong, and you're locked out for 30 minutes, or as you define in the settings...

Sounds like fun. Sneak up to the Tesla at 29 minutes and attempt to unlock it. Fail. Owner is locked out another 30 minutes. Haha! Repeat every 30 minutes or until you get bored.

This is a real problem with these lockout type systems.

No you dont have to leave the key in the car to summon. Works best placed on the windscreen wiper though.
Sounds like the issue suffered is the phone and key being together, as key on its own in the car will not lock the car.