Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learning from Car Logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be very interesting for us to be able to access our own car's logs. They obviously can track everything as they did for the NYT drive. I would love to know exactly how I am doing, especially on a road trip, so I can learn for my next trip.

Anyone know if there is any way to get the logs from TM for specific dates? Would you like it? Wouldn't it be great as an app, with the data available only to the owner by VIN?

I would certainly appreciate the ability to access historical usage records for my Model S. Nissan has similar technology embedded into the LEAF through CARWINGS. CARWINGS provides the ability to track kwh usage, miles driven per trip, and economy. You can export it to an excel spreadsheet and do some useful analysis.

I would hope that Tesla would introduce a similar feature in the Model S. Maybe when wifi is enabled we would be able to pull usage data directly from the car over the network? That would be sweet.

I wrote the Tesla Graphical Log Parser for the Roadster, based on reverse-engineering of the Roadster logs by several other forum members. I've personally found this to be an invaluable tool. I really hope that Tesla sees fit to provide at least some data from the car, such as speed, power demand, charging power, SOC, etc. so we can do the same kind of analysis of our driving that we can for the Roadster. I've found that to be one of the best features of the Roadster, and I really miss it with the Model S.

Has anything come out in the last year that provides the kind of data discussed in this thread? Seems like with the number of data-hungry Tesla customers, this would be a no-brainer. For example, I'd like to be able to track-and-trend the accumulated amount of power I've drawn (well, future tense, since I'm still a month away from delivery) using my home charger (where I know my electrical rate) and compare it against the amount of power I draw from Super Chargers. Then I could at least estimate at what point the "included" Supercharger-enabled-ness of my 85 kWh battery option will have paid for itself...if ever...

Have you looked at Visible Tesla? My previous car was a Nissan Leaf, which had a nice web based data report for the car.

Visible Tesla is pretty cool/ really awesome for many things. It doesn't replace my hand logging of trips but it does add details and I you can go back and see trips since it logs GPS data along with the other available info that the car readily gives + a little more
Capture.JPG

the 'only' thing missing is something like a tracker to count daily #'s such as miles and power used but I don't keep VT running consistently enough to catch everything.