Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learning to drive in a Tesla….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering about how practical it would be to teach someone to drive in a model 3?

Previously there were a number of actions the passenger could take to avoid an accident, eg apply handbrake, force out of gear with gear lever, turn off with key.

What options are there in a tesla? Needs a sub menu with a panic button ;)

I did avoid an accident while teaching daughter by grabbing wheel and handbrake but in reality few new cars have handbrakes anyway. I think the answer is not to teach unless they've had dual control lessons to a set standard.. Roads are way busier hence more 'richard heads' out there than in my youth.

Reactions: Smileysam
I'm somewhat concerned about panic braking. For example, when a dog darts out in front of me, I instinctively stab the brakes. If someone learns to drive using an EV, I'm afraid that instinct won't be there because they're used to stopping using regen braking, not the mechanical brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: NISFAN
There is an emergency braking option on the Tesla by holding in the button on the end of the gear selector. This works for the passenger in the US, as it's on their side, but not in a RHD car. It's meant to be in-case the driver was incapacitated.

My sons learning to drive, no chance he can get insured on my Tesla, I'm not that bothered by this.

I'm somewhat concerned about panic breaking. For example, when a dog darts out in front of me, I instinctively stab the breaks. If someone learns to drive using an EV, I'm afraid that instinct won't be there because they're used to stopping using regen breaking, not the mechanical brakes.
That is absolute nonsense! There is no EV that has regen at a level that is anywhere near using even moderately firm braking.

Last edited:
Reactions: init6 and browellm
There is an emergency braking option on the Tesla by holding in the button on the end of the gear selector. This works for the passenger in the US, as it's on their side, but not in a RHD car. It's meant to be in-case the driver was incapacitated.

My sons learning to drive, no chance he can get insured on my Tesla, I'm not that bothered by this.

It doesn't work for me on my car anyway ... so whether a passenge can reach it is neither here nor there. AFAIK it only operates the rear brakes so even if it actually works it will give less retardation than the foot brake.

I gave my daughter her first driving lesson in my M3 in an empty carpark so that she could learn to steer without thinking about gear changes, stalling etc.
After that we switched to a KA for the road.

I dread to think how much insurance for the Tesla would be!

Don’t forget if you learn and pass your test in an “auto” you can’t drive manuals in the future.

You would need to pass a manual driving test. But you don't need to do another theory test.

The Man said:
You do not need to take a theory test to upgrade your licence.

You have to book a driving test by phone with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). You cannot book it online.

Percentage of people learning in automatics is increasing. BBC had an article on it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-59803133

The number of young drivers choosing to take their tests in automatic cars has tripled since 2008 according to the DVSA.
Only 3.8% of tests were taken in an automatic back then, but now it's closer to 14%.

With the shift to EVs and hybrids manual is less useful.

Last edited:
Terrible way to learn unless you’re always going to be driving an EV. Imagine a newly licensed teen switching over to an ICE vehicle thinking it should drive exactly as the Tesla does. Recipe for disaster.

Don’t forget if you learn and pass your test in an “auto” you can’t drive manuals in the future.
This is the only real issue to be aware of (other than cost of a Tesla / insurance) - but its down to the individual - plenty of persons pass their tests in automatics and have this restriction which doesn't really affect them. In the future if we continue down the electric vehicle route then it's not likley to be an issue since you're not going to get a "manual" electric vehicle :)

I will say though I strongly think you should give your child the option and discuss with them that while most likley in the near future most vehicles will be an automatic - at least at present theres still some careers where you will need to be able to drive a manual vehicle (notably Ambulance service) and while I'm sure plenty of people further down the line can relearn to drive a manual - it's got to be easier if you learned in the first place in a manual.

It does on mine, or at least did that time when I forgot which side is the wiper button and pressed too long.
Yep, I did that once - scared s**t out of me - fortunately nothing else was around.