Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease a Model S for $599/month? (i'm speculating/dreaming)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
So there's a lot of good lease deals around by car manufacturers. I've been looking at leasing a bmw 335i for $399/month. But I'm tempted to wait around for summer 2013 when Tesla announces their leasing program for the Model S.

I'm wondering if Tesla will be able to offer the Model S 40kWh for $599/month or less on a lease.

Here's my reasoning. Here's a BMW for lease for $599/month (BMW X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity - Special Offers - BMW North America). I picked a random model because I'm looking more at the MSRP which is $58,595 for this model. It's close to the Model S. If Tesla can get the $7500 tax credit themselves (bringing down the price to $52.5k) and then we add 6k of options, thus bringing the Model S 40kWh to about $58.5 which is comparable to the BMW I linked to.

The BMW is a 39 month lease at $599/month (plus tax) with a $3k down payment ($4324 due at signing).

Can Tesla match this offer (especially because both cars are similarly priced)?

If so, that would be awesome and could get a lot more people into the Model S.

Any thoughts?

Edit: According to my speculation, the 60kWH Model S could be leased for $689/month if you take a comparable BMW with a MSRP of $70,095 (BMW 550i xDrive Sedan - Special Offers - BMW North Americ). Again, total speculation and BMW might be subsidizing these leases to offload models that aren't in demand.

Last edited:
Tesla right now doesn't have the money to lease cars. They would have to sell them to a leasing outfit for them to lease out. I highly doubt you will find any decent lease rates on the Model S until Tesla is hurting for sales. And then you will find not-great lease offers before you find good offers.

BMW, Lexus, MB all use leases to keep low miles used CPO cars on their lots, and to increase volume. Tesla doesn't need any of that right now.

I have been hoping the same thing $700 for the 60kWh battery but everyone on this form says doesn't seem possible. :'(. So I might even go for the 40kWh for 700, not sure if that would be possible either.

I just need to get this car. Cant wait for Gen III. Why did I test drive this car :'(.. Enough crying.. now back to work.

-Owais