TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lease a Roadster until the Model S arrives

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by AnOutsider, May 19, 2010.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

got this email today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interested to see the details, though I still don't know if I can get over the size

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yes anyone know those terms of this special lease? As I recall, the standard Roadster lease didn't seem like a particularly good deal.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I spoke with someone who said I could get a lease right away for something like 1800/month, but could get it as low as 1600/month. I'd have to pass. It's much too impractical as a daily driver to make it worth it.

My r8's payments are significantly less as well, and it makes a great daily driver.

4. flabby

flabby Member

The terms are the same as their standard 3 year lease except with a clause that let you get out of the lease as soon as your medel S is delivered. I spoke to them this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Seems likely that it will take 3 years before many get their Model S delivered.

6. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Leasing for 2 years @ $1600/month is just about 3/4 cost of a Model S with the $7500 tax credit. Would be nice if the lease cost were deducted from Model S purchase price. :wink:

7. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Or at least a substantial portion thereof -- like 50% ... which is the approximate ratio of Roadster to Model S cost.

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

LOL I think I dreamed the same scheme... That'd make it a no brainer.

- mnx

9. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

It looks like the cargo volume in the R8 (3.5 cubic feet here ) is noticeably less than in the Roadster (6 cubic feet here ), but from pictures it looks like there is a little extra space behind the seats in the R8 (I assume that space wasn't counted by my reference above). My Roadster makes a great daily driver, although I expect the passenger space can easily be more of an issue (than the R8) with 2 people (I rarely have a passenger).

More importantly: R8, nice car!!!

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well I base that on the drive I took in one @ the NYC Model S unveiling. My arms were rubbing with the driver. Both myself and my girlfriend ate taller than 6 feet and felt pretty uncomfortable in it.

The R8 takes some getting used to the getting in and out part, but is extremely comfortable

11. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Too bad they won't rent Roadsters. I would consider renting one for June-August.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd rent one for a month as well