Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lease and federal tax credit for Model 3 delivered in 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any place where Tesla publishes their policy on calculating the 2019 Federal Credit for leased vehicles? Do they give full credit or only a partial credit? Does this calculation show up on the lease agreement? Thanks!

Everyone is correct that the lessee does not get the credit, the lessor (owner) gets the credit. However since you are in the CA Bay Area check with your air quality district to see if they still have funds for the clean air vehicle program. For that program the rebate goes to the person who first registered the EV.

Reactions: cwerdna
Thanks for the replies. If they do not pass on some or all of the incentive, it's interesting because several other manufacturers pass it on to make leasing attractive. At a minimum I would think they should pass on a credit for the down payment portion since that is considered as paying part of the cost of the vehicle. If they do factor in, the lease agreement does not list it out separately.

Thanks for the replies. If they do not pass on some or all of the incentive, it's interesting because several other manufacturers pass it on to make leasing attractive. At a minimum I would think they should pass on a credit for the down payment portion since that is considered as paying part of the cost of the vehicle. If they do factor in, the lease agreement does not list it out separately.

The last time I looked at the financial info someone posted, it appeared to me that, in effect, tesla was including some of the credit by making the residual on the car higher. I think the residual was calculating out at like 67-70% which, even for model 3s, is a fairly unrealistic residual number.

Tesla was not breaking out the credit as a credit on the lease agreement. Some car manufacturers provide some, most, or even all of it on a lease as a cap cost reduction, but there is no reason they "have" to, and many times they dont provide the whole thing.

FWIW, BMW is no longer providing the 7500 lease credit on 2020 i3's even though the full battery version is still eligible for the credit (while range extender versions with the engine are not, as of 2020). Car manufacturers pass that on simply to try to drive product out the door, because most other car manufacturers have a BIG issue getting ANYONE to actually buy (as in purchase, not lease) their EVs. They have to incentivize leasing them because no one really wants to own one long term. Tesla doesnt have that problem, so its no wonder they are not super incentivizing leasing.

• Helpful
Reactions: wft3