Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease and tax question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just placed my order 4/7 (M3LR, white, black, 19”, no fsd) Its set to cash so when I can to change to a lease, will this go through tesla or do I need to find my own? Also is the lease calculator on the website correct? Is tax exempt, I’m in NJ? Does tesla not charge it or I have to submit paperwork and get refunded?

you can change to all 3 options, cash , tesla loan, external loan, once you get VIN. Based on my convo with SA, it is pretty straightforward.
Dont pay too much attention to the calculator.
Your terms, ARP and loan amount is decided when the loan application is filled. e.g you could ask for 50k at 2.49% , but they can only approve 30k at 2.79%. The process is pretty quick and the tesla loan through well fargo or bank o america, is approved within 24 to 48 hours. Again the terms are based on your credit history and all that and not on the calculator.
You can also get a loan approved externally and just provide the info to tesla.
Jut be mindful that for tesla loan (and likely for external) you have 30 days to accept and 60 days for which the loan is valid. After that you have to apply again.

you can change to all 3 options, cash , tesla loan, external loan, once you get VIN. Based on my convo with SA, it is pretty straightforward.
Dont pay too much attention to the calculator.
Your terms, ARP and loan amount is decided when the loan application is filled. e.g you could ask for 50k at 2.49% , but they can only approve 30k at 2.79%. The process is pretty quick and the tesla loan through well fargo or bank o america, is approved within 24 to 48 hours. Again the terms are based on your credit history and all that and not on the calculator.
You can also get a loan approved externally and just provide the info to tesla.
Jut be mindful that for tesla loan (and likely for external) you have 30 days to accept and 60 days for which the loan is valid. After that you have to apply again.
Thanks I am looking at a lease, not a loan so I think once I get a VIN I just fill out the info and wait for approval.

I am not sure what you mean by tax exempt. Interest on a car loan is not normally deductible unless incurred as part of a business. Similarly, lease payments are not deductible unless incurred as part of a business. Hope that helps.