Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease car - adding second driver to the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered (and received) M3LR. Ordered through Tesla and then did ALD leasing. On delivery day, I could finally see the car in the Tesla app in the evening - I didnt have to do anything to 'claim' it. However when I log onto the Tesla account online, I am unable to 'claim' the car as it is leased.
How does my husband see the car on the app?

He is awaiting the MY. Ideally we would like to see both cars on the app, for individual people.
M3 - me as main driver, him second
MY - him as main driver, me second

Looking online is says contact the leasing company (ALD) and ask for him to be added. I have asked and got nowhere. Is there anything else we should be doing?

TIA

Lease companies don't seem to like adding a second account.

Most people just use the same login and you can assign a different driver profile to each phone/key. That works for the majority as they don't have two Teslas. Not sure what you can do other than he use your account for now until the MY turns up and keep on at the lease company to add the second account.

Just download the Tesla app on his phone then log in with your credentials,. Our two M3s are both on my Tesla account and it works fine like that. Not sure how it would work if the MY ends up associated with a different Tesla account.

My wife and I both use my login details, but have separate profiles, phone keys, etc. which works fine.

I don't think it will work as easily for you, with two cars. I can think of two options;
  1. The lease company add you each as 'second' (third) accounts to each of the main Tesla accounts.
  2. One of you leases both cars, and the lease company adds both cars to the same Tesla account, so you can both use the same second account details.
I think both of these routes could be challenging with the lease company. So far my experience is that they're not really interested in doing things the Tesla way. Hopefully this will change though?

Luke