Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease early termination with zero due?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same boat here. They trying to get me for another month… for like 5 days. No thanks. I’ll return it today then….. AND, anyone find that their wear and tear was covered by the equity? Even though we don’t get the rest back? My return estimate says zero, but the wear and tear repot is like 1100, for 2 tires and misc. And I forget where it says -1100 and then plus 1100 asking me to lag that SEPARATE from the return pdf. So seems like they acknowledge that there is excess $$$ there.

they won’t give me 5 days until my MYP comes in! And no phone calls. Wait for multiple days for a email or text that doesn’t ever answer the question you are asking!

I returned my lease M3 1.5month early to take delivery of my MY. I thought if I return the car early, I won't be responsible for the last month payment. But Tesla says otherwise: they just send me the final invoice that includes deposition fee, remaining balance (lease payment), and early wear and tear charge.

If you want to avoid the last month payment, consider doing a early termination instead. You likely won't owe any money with the current used car rate and the amount of principles you paid over the years.

Can't find too much information on this; long story short, have another M3 Standard Range on order, been leasing my current m3 for almost a year now. Early termination shows 0 due with the equity in my lease.

With this said, will Tesla not charge for excess wear on tires/rims, etc due to the equity in my lease? Anyone have experience with this?

Can't find too much information on this; long story short, have another M3 Standard Range on order, been leasing my current m3 for almost a year now. Early termination shows 0 due with the equity in my lease.

With this said, will Tesla not charge for excess wear on tires/rims, etc due to the equity in my lease? Anyone have experience with this?

(moderator note)

merged with existing thread on this topic

I'm in a similar situation and just reviewed the "terminate lease early" option in the app and got a similar result (like $10k in early termination cost and zero balance) So, I know that it seems like Tesla is the one benefitting from the equity in the vehicle, but the way I'm reading it according to my original lease document and bill of sale is that the "Vehicle value" in the workup is the same as what the original price was. My thought is that the $10k really was created by Tesla in the increases to the new MSRP so you're not really losing anything. I mean, yeah, you/I could've kept that as a win if you/I had bought it outright at the beginning (and I won't make that mistake again) but still overall for a automobile transaction to come away even minus your downpayment and reasonable lease payments in exchange for 2 years worth of miles driven--pretty fair deal.

Does anyone think I'm seeing this incorrectly? Again, I realize some people are totally obsessive about efficiency but I never care to think that way when it comes to cars. It's just too difficult to be super precise and I don't have the time or energy to care about maximizing every penny in the transactions. I don't try to be unnecessarily careless--for example I wouldn't give my car to a dealer as a trade in and take that kind of bath rather than just sell privately but I don't think Tesla gives you a lot of options with these leases so getting into an actual purchase without some large balloon payment before prices go up again or something like that seems to be a good hedge. My question is since there are some sunk costs in the lease, is it in my best interest to ride it out another 18 months to maximize those expenses and get all I can out of the lease and take the chances that the new one won't have another $5k or $10k added to the MSRP by then?