Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease end experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has had recent turn-in experience with a Tesla lease?

Saw a recent article saying auto dealers are refusing lease turn ins right now due to the virus. And the used market is in the tank. I have a lease turn in relatively soon and starting to think about options.

-Anyone turn in a lease recently? Any issues?
-anyone try a lease extension? I'm seeing people talk about extending their lease at 50% payment right now because it absolves the company from taking the car, and the resale market is poor....
-anyone have success negotiating the buy out price? Again given the depressed wholesale market might they be willing to negotiate?

Interested if anyone has any experiences. Thanks!

I’ve heard nothing about Tesla lease end.

I’ve heard my share about other manufacturers offering crazy buy-out deals if you finance through them (they will ask for less than half the residual). These were mainly on EV forums, so I’m not sure if it is manufacturer-specific, or just for EV cars.

In general, the car market is very soft and car manufacturers know it will be extremely difficult to sell the off-lease cars. Close to 25 million Americans were out of work in a month’s time—it’s surreal. I’m not sure how it will affect Tesla.

I’ve heard nothing about Tesla lease end.

I’ve heard my share about other manufacturers offering crazy buy-out deals if you finance through them (they will ask for less than half the residual). These were mainly on EV forums, so I’m not sure if it is manufacturer-specific, or just for EV cars.

In general, the car market is very soft and car manufacturers know it will be extremely difficult to sell the off-lease cars. Close to 25 million Americans were out of work in a month’s time—it’s surreal. I’m not sure how it will affect Tesla.

A few years ago I called to discuss how to turn in my Volt, which had a cheap lease with a super high residual buy out price of $31k. I told them that there’s no way I’d be paying $31k, so I was going to turn it in. The lady on the phone responded with, “Well, what would you like to pay?” I didn’t expect that! I said I’d call back.

I did some research, and then offered just a touch over wholesale: $14.5k. Much to my surprise, they immediately agreed! I drove the car for a couple of more years before eventually selling it to a friend of a friend for $12.5k. Financially, that car worked out spectacularly for me. US Bank was the one handling the lease.

Anyway, this doesn’t help the OP at all, and my Model 3 is purchased, not leased, but I figured I’d share my experience with GM.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation
Thanks Valillant. I've had BMW allow me to extend a lease for a few months without an issue.

I've heard Tesla will extend for 6 mos. My lease is at a great price and I love the car, so maybe would consider that. The buyout is ridiculous though. Not going to keep it unless they'll negotiate that (which it seems like they likely won't).