Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease ending and model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a car lease that isn't over until June of 2019. I am trying to figure out what I should do as I am not sure it is worth it having 2 cars with insurance and so forth for a year or possibly a little shorter. I am seeing that the tax credit is most likely to start phasing out starting Q3 of 2018 so I think that I'd most likely miss it if I wait until the end of my lease. Not sure if it's worth trying to get out of my lease (if possible) or if I should keep it knowing that it will cost me $309 per month + gas (approx. $5000) for that last year and then get the Model 3 without tax incentives in June of 2019 or if I should have both cars for that year or so.

I currently have a car lease that isn't over until June of 2019. I am trying to figure out what I should do as I am not sure it is worth it having 2 cars with insurance and so forth for a year or possibly a little shorter. I am seeing that the tax credit is most likely to start phasing out starting Q3 of 2018 so I think that I'd most likely miss it if I wait until the end of my lease. Not sure if it's worth trying to get out of my lease (if possible) or if I should keep it knowing that it will cost me $309 per month + gas (approx. $5000) for that last year and then get the Model 3 without tax incentives in June of 2019 or if I should have both cars for that year or so.
It's very likely that the tax credit will be totally phased out either on March 31st 2019 or June 30th 2019 but there's a zero percent probably it will be phased out completely in 2018. Granted in the months available in 2019 it'd only be a 0.25 * 7500 = $1875 but it's better than nothing.

In my opinion, you might as well get on the list and if you aren't already and when the time comes you can simply defer your purchase until later in the year if you like. If you had both cars for a period of time, there's nothing saying you'd need to keep buying gas.

It's very likely that the tax credit will be totally phased out either on March 31st 2019 or June 30th 2019 but there's a zero percent probably it will be phased out completely in 2018. Granted in the months available in 2019 it'd only be a 0.25 * 7500 = $1875 but it's better than nothing.

In my opinion, you might as well get on the list and if you aren't already and when the time comes you can simply defer your purchase until later in the year if you like. If you had both cars for a period of time, there's nothing saying you'd need to keep buying gas.

I am sort of thinking that it may be best to just wait because I have a feeling that by mid 2019 the Model 3 will be better than the Model 3 of 2018. Maybe I am wrong but I may take that gamble.

That's a tough one. It sounds like Elon's tweets are saying that even the dual motor will be available by EOY 2017, so I imagine quite a few other options will too. We won't know that for a couple weeks though when someone leaks the configurator page.

My S lease is up in May of 2018 and should be about perfect to tie in with my reservation. If I had an ICE lease, I would do what I could to get out of it for a 2018 production model. Not paying for gas is so much a part of owning this car as is the pleasure in the power handling. I say go get in line!