Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease ending before Model 3 arrives, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, my lease is up on Leaf next May which is just the wrong time relative to Model 3 arrival.
I was one the 115K loonies who stood in line before the reveal-part-1, so theoretically should be able to get my car before the end of 2017.
The big question is what the heck to get for the 6-9 intervening months?
After driving electric all this time I really don't want to go back to ICE again and don't want to invest a whole lot in a car I'm only going to use for a short time.
Anyone have any bright ideas?
Maybe time to turn a over new leaf, so-to-speak.

Reactions: Twiglett
Honestly, once the price of the Leaf falls below a certain point it can't fall much further. At a certain point, people will buy it just because it's a new working car. If you can get it at enough of a discount at the end of your lease, there really shouldn't be much loss of value over a few additional months.

You also have to pay sales tax on the buy-out price, which in some cases is a LOT and is going to offset any savings from doing something else.

The smartest and most painless thing to do would be to try to extend the current lease for a few months or try to assume someone else's lease on their vehicle.

Buying a cheap car and flipping it is certainly an option but there are always potential pit-falls, such as the car breaking during the 6-12 months you have it and having to sink substantial funds into repairs.... resale taking an unexpected hit when it's take to flip the car and sell it... having to deal with buyers, etc.

The lease on my current ride is up Sept 2018 and I might get lucky and the lease termination might line up pretty close with the arrival of my Model 3 which I ordered the day after the reveal.

Reactions: Lunarx and Twiglett
Get the Mitsubishi I-MIEV !!! only 5-6 thousand dollars and does 0-60 in a blistering 14 seconds! I joke because I'm in the same place you are (volt lease expires Aug. 2017). Luckily I have a ICE car as well to chug around in but I'd really like to stay electric in the interim

You could buy a used Leaf to sell when your Model 3 arrives. They are super cheap and have taken such a depreciation hit you probably wouldn't lose that much in only 6-12 months.
I was going to suggest this. I would also suggest that (my having been involved in starting up a large, high-volume car plant) you should have a contingency plan to include the likely (in my view) outcome that it takes longer to get your Model 3 than you expect. A new product with a new team and new assembly line generally doesn't come up smoothly and start cranking out quality product immediately. It took us (even with the full support, funding, and experienced staff of Daimler) something like 15 years to get to the volume of 275,000 vehicles per year. I don't see how Tesla can do it in a year or two; although, even with all that, I don't think I would bet money against them... I know for a fact that they are hiring people from high-volume car assembly plants to get their experience in this world...

Hey folks, my lease is up on Leaf next May which is just the wrong time relative to Model 3 arrival.
I was one the 115K loonies who stood in line before the reveal-part-1, so theoretically should be able to get my car before the end of 2017.
The big question is what the heck to get for the 6-9 intervening months?
After driving electric all this time I really don't want to go back to ICE again and don't want to invest a whole lot in a car I'm only going to use for a short time.
Anyone have any bright ideas?

Is it a 2 yr lease or 3 years ?

Easiest thing to do is to extend the lease by a year. These extensions are really month-to-month so you can return the car any time. The monthly payment would remain the same - so if you got a good rate now, it would be even better. You can extend the lease many months in advance too.

I'm now on my second and last extension - that will end in May '17. So I have to do something about it ... and have a more difficult decision to make. My thinking currently is to get a Bolt (or some other longer range EV) on lease - and when I get Model 3, I'll transfer the lease.

Update : There is a long thread on what to do at end of lease at MNL : End of Lease Strategies? - Page 54 - My Nissan Leaf Forum