Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease Issues Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had got lease quotes from Tesla and they looked great, went to get things going and found out they don't lease in KY. I had forgot to check and never thought about it with the govt issues. Does anyone know how to get around that? I have brother in Florida and a mother in Illinois or know how to get around the whole issue of KY not leasing? I got quotes from the third party lease companies and they are x2 what Tesla was offering. Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks as always.

I guess it was never caught or they didn't ask you what state you lived in when you got the quotes? Seems like a flag should have been raised early on to at least bring up the point. Not sure the exact legalities, but gets dicey in my opinion in regards to registration, taxes, licensing, insurance etc. if you would be leasing the car claiming to be in one state but living in another. I assume you cannot make any claim to be legal resident of either of those states? Can you purchase the car instead of lease?

Register it in Illinois. Illinois also just charges you tax on the payment, not the entire car. So there's a benefit there as well. No harm in doing that at all. I'm in California and registered at my address in Chicago. It was a breeze to do and my car is still headed out to LA for pickup.

I have the same issue in WI. Our Tesla store in Highland Park IL is a short 50min drive...but you'd think it was on another planet for the way WI treats Tesla.
I purchased mine as I too found the lease deals from 3rd parties 2x the Tesla deal.
I wanted to take advantage of the lease deal for a 2nd Tesla for my bride...but it's just not in the cards.

The chances of me buying another 20th century ICE car ever in my lifetime, or purchasing from a traditional dealer network; was already at 0%. Somehow, after the latest lease deal was announced and I still can't take advantage of it...the chances have gone even lower.

Yea that sucks I really wanted a lease and still do. The lease would work better than owning for me and I would be ready for something different in 2 years anyway. I try to make myself feel better by saying after putting the doors up so many times it would get old fast. But I really wish I could be some where with the doors up now lol