Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease or finance for the habitual car changer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I just locked in on my MYP with delivery next week, so I'm very excited. That said, I'm debating on whether I should lease or finance this one... I know the Tesla lease is closed-end with iffy terms, but being someone who habitually changes cars, would it be worth biting the lease bullet? For instance, if there is a game-changing improvement to the Y over the coming years, I could see wanting to upgrade, which I would think the lease would be more amenable at that point. By the same token, I only drive about 6-8k miles a year, so I doubt that the depreciation will be very steep with finance.

Really just looking to see if there is any benefit at all to the lease (outside of those that can writeoff). I've leased all my cars for the last 15 years, so this is a paradigm shift for me.

As someone who is the same way and was going through the same decision process, I decided to just finance it. As of now, resale value on the Ys is very high, so I think you actually get more flexibility out of a finance than a lease. BMW, Mercedes, etc. lease all the way because the inverse is usually true.

Reactions: blinkme323
As someone who is the same way and was going through the same decision process, I decided to just finance it. As of now, resale value on the Ys is very high, so I think you actually get more flexibility out of a finance than a lease. BMW, Mercedes, etc. lease all the way because the inverse is usually true.
Yeah, my only worry is that eventually the resale value will to decrease due to competition.

This is my first purchase in a long time. I've been leasing and leasing and leasing Volvo for years. It was time to break the cycle and due to a change in personal circumstances, will be driving more than 15k a year now and don't want to have to watch the odometer... instead I'll be watching the battery gauge! 🤦‍♂️ Seriously though, I think the MF on Tesla leases aren't great where as the loan rate is <2%.