Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease prices way too high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A traditional lease is a rental with the option to purchase at the end. Since Tesla does not give you the purchase rights, this is really just a “rental program”. They may have a theoretical residual baked into their payments but since you don’t have the right to buy at that residual value it’s irrelevant.

Historically Tesla vehicles have held their value after three years. It’s hard to imagine the current leasing numbers being a better deal than owning, even factoring in the hassle of reselling the car when you are done with it. The benefit to owning is that you get to decide when you want to buy your next car, rather than being on an exact 36 month schedule.

The disadvantage of owning is if you are like me and like a new car every three years, then you will more or likely be ahead by leasing, as most cars will take a big dip in three years when you go to trade them in. I hate screwing around with trade in anyhow, as you rarely get back what you think it is worth, unless you can do a private sale. Doubt if Tesla continues to hold their value as the completion increases. Could be wrong though.

I don’t expect BMW type lease programs, but I do expect less than 5.25% money factor. That is highway robbery and you must agree to that.

Tesla will need to expand their customer base and they won’t do it, but just selling cars to people that like to own, especially as the EV market becomes more competitive. BMW itself, will be very competitive soon and if they continue their aggressive lease programs and others too, Tesla will have to react. Competition will be good.

I think you're right, but I think we're a few years out from that still. Audi and Jag have been discounting their EV's by like $10k to $20k to sell them. Other EV's will likely have battery supply issues for at least the first year as they build up their supply chains. I don't doubt that other auto makers will come out with good EV's that are priced well, have a good charging network to support them, and can hit the prices that Tesla does... but it'll still take a little time. With Tesla basically selling every Model 3 / Y they can make right now, they're not hurting just yet. Maybe this time next year maybe not... they still delivered almost a record amount of Model 3's this last quarter when most car companies saw sales decline by 30% or more. There still is a swell behind wanting to buy a Tesla and they don't really need to lease many right now.

Honestly if I could lease the Model 3 LR AWD here for $493/mo with no tax or down payment, I'd place the order right now.

Come to the civilized side of the river. It's pretty great over here. I'm ~30 miles due west of Manhattan and love it - I've got trees and grass and wildlife and peace & quiet, but I can be at Sparks in an hour. About the best of all worlds!

Maybe people need to look at the numbers another way since they seem hung up on the money factor or the 1% rule. I think the finance rate is 2.99%, while others think it's 5.25%. Does it matter?

How about just adding up the payments and comparing which vehicle is more worth that amount?

Looking at a 2020 BMW 330i, w/Convenience Pkg., I see they're offering a lease at $419 a month, but the customer has to put down $2655. When you total the payments, 36 x $419 = $15084. Add in the downpayment of $2655 and you get $17,739, not including fees and sales taxes, etc.

How does the Tesla Model 3 SR+ compare? $506 a month, nothing down, 36 x $506 = $18,216.

That's about $500 more than the BMW, but the actual difference, due to inflation is less, since you don't have to put the $2655 down at closing, like the BMW. Who cares what the money factor is, or whether it meets some 1% rule, the question is would you rather pay $17,739 for 3 years of a 2020 BMW 330i Sedan, base w/Convenience, or $18,216 for 3 years of a 2020 Tesla Model 3, SR+?

Reactions: dmurphy
Maybe people need to look at the numbers another way since they seem hung up on the money factor or the 1% rule. I think the finance rate is 2.99%, while others think it's 5.25%. Does it matter?

How about just adding up the payments and comparing which vehicle is more worth that amount?

Looking at a 2020 BMW 330i, w/Convenience Pkg., I see they're offering a lease at $419 a month, but the customer has to put down $2655. When you total the payments, 36 x $419 = $15084. Add in the downpayment of $2655 and you get $17,739, not including fees and sales taxes, etc.

How does the Tesla Model 3 SR+ compare? $506 a month, nothing down, 36 x $506 = $18,216.

That's about $500 more than the BMW, but the actual difference, due to inflation is less, since you don't have to put the $2655 down at closing, like the BMW. Who cares what the money factor is, or whether it meets some 1% rule, the question is would you rather pay $17,739 for 3 years of a 2020 BMW 330i Sedan, base w/Convenience, or $18,216 for 3 years of a 2020 Tesla Model 3, SR+?

People who lease (myself included) have been "trained to care" about the numbers lol.

Reactions: KenC and dmurphy
People who lease (myself included) have been "trained to care" about the numbers lol.

Much like everything else Tesla, we have to un-learn some behaviors ...

Reminds me of one of my favorite arcade games!

2.png

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin

I agree with your approach, but there are two things to consider. First, the BMW is a $44,500 car and the Tesla is a $38,000 car.
Second, the BMW lease offers a buyout option, allowing you to keep the car if you choose. The Tesla does not.

Does anyone find the lease prices of the Model 3 completely absurd?

My current lease is up in 3 months so it's about the right time to start looking at options. I really had my heart set on a Model 3 but the price they're asking for a 36 month lease without the option to buy at the end might completely price me out. Typically when leasing you want to aim for the 1% rule, as in a car with an MSRP of $48,000 should be around $480 per month, but the Model 3 isn't even close to this.

I know Teslas have historically leased horribly, but has there been any word or rumors of this changing? I've talked to other people who have also been turned off to Tesla because they can't see spending that much to lease a compact car especially one where the monthly payment doesn't correlate even close to the MSRP. For example, if you went to a BMW dealer you can probably get a significantly more expensive vehicle for less per month than a Model 3.

It's true. That's why I ended up buying.

Come to the civilized side of the river. It's pretty great over here. I'm ~30 miles due west of Manhattan and love it - I've got trees and grass and wildlife and peace & quiet, but I can be at Sparks in an hour. About the best of all worlds!

That's the plan in a few years. Definitely not staying within the 5 boroughs. The new speed cameras placed every 2-3 blocks are reason enough alone to get out of this city.

I agree with your approach, but there are two things to consider. First, the BMW is a $44,500 car and the Tesla is a $38,000 car.
Second, the BMW lease offers a buyout option, allowing you to keep the car if you choose. The Tesla does not.

I'm looking at a broker deal right now for a $46,800 330i xDrive for $367 a month with nothing down. It includes $2k loyalty, but even if you factor that in you're at $422 a month. Plus you have the option to buy-out at the end of the lease.

Probably a high money factor and as stated low(er) expected RV. BMW, for example, seems to estimate high RV in part to keep lease options attractive. They also like to sell cars twice, once at the start of a lease then often as "certified" once the lease returns. Like the Tesla finance numbers, they are not competitive with other dealers 0-0.9% incentives because they do not do in house financing.

For the same reason, Tesla does not offer incentives or discounts (other than the $1/mile off demo cars) they don't seem to be hurting to give cars away.
I recently bought a demo model S long range plus in the middle of June. It has 500 demo miles and was $3,000 off. Some people night left over long range (without the plus) and got 6 to 10k off.

You're fixated upon the manufacturer's price. It biases your thinking that the BMW is the better vehicle. I own a loaded BMW 330xi, and the only thing I'd like on that car moved to my Model 3 are the red leather sport seats. Actually, when the BMW gets retired, I'm going to have the front seats removed and mounted so that I can use them as office chairs.

The point of my exercise was to remove the manufacturer's list price from biasing your choice. I guess it didn't work.

As for the buyout option, that's definitely worth something, so keep it in mind. I did lease my BMW before buying it after the lease expired.

I've never put any money down on a lease, ever. I would throw the downpayment out of the equation.