Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all, I'm coming up on the one year point on my Model S 70 lease. I absolutely love the car, greatest thing I've ever owned. Only issue is, as my twin toddlers are getting older I'm starting to regret not getting the Model X with the 6 seat option.

Now I know I'm locked into a lease for 3 years, etc...but do I have ANY options here to upgrade to the X earlier you think? Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in exiting a lease early. Would Tesla have any motivation to get me out of this 70 and into an X ahead of time?

Hey y'all, I'm coming up on the one year point on my Model S 70 lease. I absolutely love the car, greatest thing I've ever owned. Only issue is, as my twin toddlers are getting older I'm starting to regret not getting the Model X with the 6 seat option.

Now I know I'm locked into a lease for 3 years, etc...but do I have ANY options here to upgrade to the X earlier you think? Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in exiting a lease early. Would Tesla have any motivation to get me out of this 70 and into an X ahead of time?
Sell/trade in the car and pay off the rest of payments +residual

Or cheaper would be getting someone to take over your lease, which would be a good deal for them with Tesla high up front lease cost

Auto dealers will often help you get out of a lease early if you are upgrading to a new car.
Tesla might also. Never hurts to ask.

I think the actual lease contract is with a partner bank.
If your new lease is also with that same leasing company, it might work. I suspect you will take a hit financially in the process somewhere.

Maybe have your spouse get the Model X and trade in the other car? Is that an option?

Best of luck if you are set on switching the S with the X. But, I'd like to give you a different perspective. My twins are almost 5 years old. This past summer when I was seriously looking into getting the Tesla, I looked at both the S and X. In fact, on paper I thought for sure I'd get an X, probably for the same reasons you are thinking about getting an X. Have you physically been into an X with 6- or even 7-seat arrangement? It's actually not as spacious as it appears. Perhaps more head room is my impression, but that's about it.

We took a 600-mile round-trip with our twins last weekend in our S. It was a comfortable trip with enough room for the twins in the back in their car seats.

Anyway, again good luck with the trade if that's what you decide to do. But you'd probably be OK too if you just kept the S. :)

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
We also went with another MS instead of the MX. Agree that the MX is better on paper, but on we had an MX 6 seat loaner (extended test drive) over 2 weekends. It gave us enough time to try the car seats all possible configurations. We went on several longish trips and in the end picked the MS. I miss the crazy front window on the MX and the kids miss the FWDs, but for us, the MS had a lot more useable storage space for the kids gear.

Best of luck if you are set on switching the S with the X. But, I'd like to give you a different perspective. My twins are almost 5 years old. This past summer when I was seriously looking into getting the Tesla, I looked at both the S and X. In fact, on paper I thought for sure I'd get an X, probably for the same reasons you are thinking about getting an X. Have you physically been into an X with 6- or even 7-seat arrangement? It's actually not as spacious as it appears. Perhaps more head room is my impression, but that's about it.

We took a 600-mile round-trip with our twins last weekend in our S. It was a comfortable trip with enough room for the twins in the back in their car seats.

Anyway, again good luck with the trade if that's what you decide to do. But you'd probably be OK too if you just kept the S. :)

Thanks for this perspective. Really appreciate it!

I was wondering the same exact thing.