Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease return inspection - Tesla Finance, not US Bank - Autovin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on browsing the forum, it appears that US Bank uses Autovin for lease return inspections. Does Tesla Finance use Autovin - or does Tesla itself just inspect it at the Tesla center? And if it is inspected at the Tesla center, can you do a pre-inspection or they just inspect only on return date?

Thanks

Tesla also uses Autovin. It's optional though and I passed on Autovin. I opted to just return my S to the delivery center in Fremont, CA when I was picking up my new S

We are supposed to take delivery of our Model 3 - and our Model S is set for inspection this upcoming Monday. As our salesman told us, we can just turn it back in to the service center, but it at least "appears" we "must" use this third party for the inspection. The salesman said it's not an issue and just to return it without that inspection - as Tesla does an inspection anyway.

Sorry for being wordy, but was there a penalty for turning it into the service center instead of going through the third party inspector?

Thanks!

So another update last night: There was an "issue" with paint upon delivery to the service center, so they are waiting another week-ish for a third party to repair the damage.

I find it pretty interesting that this situation occurred. The reason for it is because we mentioned we were just simply going to take it to the service center instead of having Autovin do it. So the timeline goes as follows:

11/9/2018: Model 3 AWD LR ordered
11/13/2018: Delivery date set for 12/3 at our house
11/29/2018: Delivery date rescheduled for 12/11 (still at house)
12/6/2018: Delivery date rescheduled for 12/7 - must pick up at service center (with less than a 24-hour notice of delivery time)
12/7/2018: "A paint chip was noticed and we have no further date scheduled yet"

We could suspect many things, but what things are known: Delivery was scheduled 3 times, and now we are unsure when we are getting the car. Overall it may not seem like a big issue, but when we feel like we're being told several things (one from salesperson and service center personnel - and another from Tesla corporate) it doesn't sit well. And one of the deciding factors that we purchased when we did was two-fold: the lease-end would be VERY easy and we would be able to receive the $7500 tax credit when the time arises.

I would say up until the 11/29 timeframe, everything from Tesla including the initial lease we started in 12/2015 has been EXTREMELY easy, comfortable, non-confrontational, and simply a joy. Tesla has set themselves apart by not being a "traditional" dealer. On the other hand, this past week+ has unfortunately been a bit of a nightmare. We're hoping the delivery date isn't set back too far, as we are in need of turning in the lease...and are frankly quite discouraged to have Autovin do it.

Just to circle back -- Tesla Finance told me that AutoVin was now mandatory. Guy came out and spent an hour inspecting the car. He refused (nicely) to give me any feedback during the inspection. Report was online the next day -- dinged me (legitimately) for curb rash on two wheels - $125 per wheel -- and nothing else. To be fair, the other possible issues were within the published Tesla guidelines except, arguably, two tiny side-by-side chips in the windshield that, had they been a single chip rather than two, would have been within guidelines.

I returned the car to Tesla about 3 weeks later and they took it without comment and gave me a return receipt listing the two wheels as only excess wear and tear.

Bottom line - AutoVin was painless as was Tesla lease return.

Autovin came to do my lease return inspection and were very thorough. I had curb rash on 3 rims and that was the only thing they listed as excess wear. I just picked up my new S this week and they took my lease return without comment or any charges.

Autovin came to do my lease return inspection and were very thorough. I had curb rash on 3 rims and that was the only thing they listed as excess wear. I just picked up my new S this week and they took my lease return without comment or any charges.
We are turning our Model S in next month and have been told to contact Autovin. How far in advance of returning the car did you do your inspection? We also have curb rash on 2 rims. Could you share how much they charge for that? TY.

Curb rash was $125 per rim. I did it about 10 days before my turn in but had the luxury of having my other Tesla waiting so it didn't matter when I turned in. $125 per rim is cheaper and easier than trying to fix them. My bigger concern was some tiny window chip I had never scene but Autovin claimed were only about $500. When Safelight told me you couldn't fix the chips I was very concerned I get dinged for a windshield replacement, which is 1300-1600. My final assessment appears to only include what Autovin found