Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease return nightmare model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I leased a model X in 2018, my lease ended in 9/2021, and I decided to extend it for another 3 months, so my new end lease date was 12/2021. All payments for the past 39 months were made on time.
December comes around and I tried calling to schedule my return, but all I got from tesla reps were “you need to schedule it online or through the app…..” so I tried that, but no available appointments to return my car. I emailed my pictures and even got an invoice for my wear and tear which I paid for already.

They just picked up the model X this past weekend, a tow truck came to my house at 12am Saturday to tow it from my drive way, tow truck driver didn’t knock on my door, just hooked up my car to the truck and left. (I verified it was Tesla)

Anyways…..since my lease ended in 12/2021 and tesla didn’t pick it up until June 2022, and even though I’ve been trying to schedule an appointment over the phone, in person etc with no success and they were insisting I set up an appointment to drop it off and was told not to drop it off without an appointment…….Tesla is now saying I’m responsible for the lease from January til June that’s 6 months of payments they said I’m responsible for, even though my lease ended in December and I was ready to return it when my lease ended.
Funny thing is, now that Elon told employees to get back to the office and work, it is just now that their lease department is aggressive in collecting the 6 months that I owe them, and now they charged me a repo fee etc……
I didn’t drive the car for the past 6 months, I would only use it to charge it which is like 2 mins from my house.

I’ve emailed tesla back n forth and even during these emails they didn’t offer an appointment to return the car, even though I’ve asked them to help me schedule an appointment to return the car to them. It’s frustrating.

Is there anything I can do? Any suggestions would be great! I really don’t want to pay it, and I feel like tesla dropped the ball on this one. But if I’m SOL, I’ll clear it with them and end my relationship with tesla on a good note.

So I leased a model X in 2018, my lease ended in 9/2021, and I decided to extend it for another 3 months, so my new end lease date was 12/2021. All payments for the past 39 months were made on time.
December comes around and I tried calling to schedule my return, but all I got from tesla reps were “you need to schedule it online or through the app…..” so I tried that, but no available appointments to return my car. I emailed my pictures and even got an invoice for my wear and tear which I paid for already.

They just picked up the model X this past weekend, a tow truck came to my house at 12am Saturday to tow it from my drive way, tow truck driver didn’t knock on my door, just hooked up my car to the truck and left. (I verified it was Tesla)

Anyways…..since my lease ended in 12/2021 and tesla didn’t pick it up until June 2022, and even though I’ve been trying to schedule an appointment over the phone, in person etc with no success and they were insisting I set up an appointment to drop it off and was told not to drop it off without an appointment…….Tesla is now saying I’m responsible for the lease from January til June that’s 6 months of payments they said I’m responsible for, even though my lease ended in December and I was ready to return it when my lease ended.
Funny thing is, now that Elon told employees to get back to the office and work, it is just now that their lease department is aggressive in collecting the 6 months that I owe them, and now they charged me a repo fee etc……
I didn’t drive the car for the past 6 months, I would only use it to charge it which is like 2 mins from my house.

I’ve emailed tesla back n forth and even during these emails they didn’t offer an appointment to return the car, even though I’ve asked them to help me schedule an appointment to return the car to them. It’s frustrating.

Is there anything I can do? Any suggestions would be great! I really don’t want to pay it, and I feel like tesla dropped the ball on this one. But if I’m SOL, I’ll clear it with them and end my relationship with tesla on a good note.
As the December date approached and you visited the Service Center / Delivery Center... did you pull up the app and show the advisor that there is no available appointments to drop the car off? If so, what did they say?

I'm sure there are alot of details you couldnt include in a high level summary... but if you were unsuccessful figuring out how to get the car returned on time, I cant imagine you're going to be successful figuring out how to convince Tesla not to charge you for the last six months.

I would be more concerned about the credit impact. It sounds like you've been in default for the past six months. From a legal standpoint that seems problematic. If the Tesla process did not physically provide a viable mechanism to return the vehicle, that liability is Tesla, not yours. That said, with a large number of leases, curious why others wouldnt have the same issue?

Get a lawyer, develop a storage bill/fee with maintenance and have it sent to Tesla. This is assuming you have a clear history of attempting to return their property and Tesla not responding per the agreement. I dont know what the TOS you had with Tesla but they have a responsibility the same as you. Without saying this will probably ruin any future agreement with them of course.

Make sure you have good documentation if you plan on fighting this. Our lease returns have been smooth with Tesla, but we did not extend. A couple of weeks before the date, someone show up at the house did an inspection, and set up an appointment to drop off the car. Dropped car at Service Center. A guy came out and gave a quick look and printed a final invoice showing the turn-in date and time. Done in 5 minutes.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Get a lawyer, develop a storage bill/fee with maintenance and have it sent to Tesla. This is assuming you have a clear history of attempting to return their property and Tesla not responding per the agreement. I dont know what the TOS you had with Tesla but they have a responsibility the same as you. Without saying this will probably ruin any future agreement with them of course.
Why pay lawyer when it is apparently Tesla's fault?