Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease return - wrong fees charged - Tesla took fees using autopay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla ended up charging me the "estimated invoice" which included almost $2000 for additional mileage when actual number should have been around $250!!!
In total, they charged me around $3300 and because I have Auto Pay on my account, they decided to take it out instantly without letting me dispute the supposed "Estimated invoice". I'm beyond upset with them and they keep playing games. No response to email in about a week. Then I call them on Friday and they say "ok we will be updating the invoice. Call us back in 48 hours to discuss the new invoice"

What the hell is that about? You want ME to call you guys when you screwed me over? Plus they apologizes about taking it out and blamed this on me having Auto Pay. Complete garbage. I told them that means nothing to me, and there is no reason an "Estimated invoice" should EVER be taken out of anyones account without a FINAL invoice.

Now I have no clue what's going on, and no idea of when I will be getting a refund.
Not to mention, I just leased another Tesla and had to put down the down payment for that along with this lost money they took from me for no reason.
Unbelievable. I told them to instantly refund me as this is too much for any customer to handle after having put down thousands for their new lease. They said they cant refund without first looking at all the details. One damn week later and still nothing!

Reactions: XPsionic
When did you return the car and when did they take the money?
I am trying to get a sense of how quickly they took the money.
They took the money out the day after I returned my car. I had contacted them again on April 10th and they told me I only owe $90 out of the $3300 they took out (how idiotic is that?). They told me I will receive the check after the 17th. I call them again this afternoon and the rep says he needs to talk to his supervisor about this and most likely will send the check out on the 28th. Complete runaround. Sad to see that Elon is running it this way and not sure how common this is.

This is really pathetic. Stealing customer's money like this. I'm seriously regretting re-leasing a Tesla... but at least this time I won't have auto pay.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
They took the money out the day after I returned my car. I had contacted them again on April 10th and they told me I only owe $90 out of the $3300 they took out (how idiotic is that?). They told me I will receive the check after the 17th. I call them again this afternoon and the rep says he needs to talk to his supervisor about this and most likely will send the check out on the 28th. Complete runaround. Sad to see that Elon is running it this way and not sure how common this is.

This is really pathetic. Stealing customer's money like this. I'm seriously regretting re-leasing a Tesla... but at least this time I won't have auto pay.
File a dispute with your credit card company immediately.

Tesla does millions of financial transactions. Sounds like the screwed up on yours and accepted responsibility. Has to go through fraud and accuracy steps to make it right. Most reports are that they eventually straighten everything out. Understand that waiting is frustrating.

Tesla does millions of financial transactions. Sounds like the screwed up on yours and accepted responsibility. Has to go through fraud and accuracy steps to make it right. Most reports are that they eventually straighten everything out. Understand that waiting is frustrating.
The problem is their corporate culture and turnover seems to be so jacked up that I think it's very possible something like this could get lost in the cracks and not get fixed for months. I have a friend who had something similar happen and it was took forever to get the problem fixed.

Just to update the fine folks here on this forum... Tesla finally sent my check last week after I called them again and told them I would seek legal advice on this. Such a shame that it should have gotten this far really. This is after a called them again after they said it would be sent out on April 28th. The same guy on the phone told me he will ask his supervisor again and get it sent out in two days. Of course, same 'ol runaround that I kept reminding him... "your excuses are getting old." I mean literally, I was speaking with the same guy for about 4 of ours phone calls. It's like they're reading off of a script... which I honestly believe is the case.

Long story short, I hope this helps others in similar situations.
If you take anything away from this horrible experience I went through, it's that you should stop auto payments a month or two before you return your lease.

Had I done that in the first place (though I initially had no reason to), I would not be in this situation.

Reactions: racerx2005