Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease Returns After Buying FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well honestly they paid for a 2-3 year lease and bought something that was right around the corner... we are keeping out nov 2016 model x w fsd even tho we want a new one, I can’t wait for them to replace the computer in our early build car! I do actually feel bad for those who bought it on lease. It sucks. Tesla can rectify it easily without class action bs

And why would you think that you are due a refund on a product for which A) Is a future product and B) There was some functionality. It wold be one thing if you actually bought the car.

Oh well, some folks just have to go after the free payday.

Unfortunately you are mistaken. FSD buyers from 2016-2018 have received no functionality above EAP, so nothing for their FSD purchase.

Even if Tesla were to release something between now and November when first AP2 leases start ending, there would hardly be any time to make use of it...

I’ll just leave this Elon tweet here. Note the dates — never happened:

ohtdxizav2c21.jpg

There was zero... again it’s an easy fix. All of these cars are doing way more money on the re sale market than what they expected so All lease returns have HUGE built in margins due to stronger than expected demand on resale market. Tesla can do the right thing easily and I hope and think they will. Tesla residual value is ~20-30% above what they booked for on lease returns so for those who payed for fsd can easily money back or applied to next vehicle without bs of class action.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Lane changes? NoA?

And it has to be over EAP at the time of purchase, not today's definition.

NoA and lane changes were released to EAP-only customers, so that is not an FSD feature. So far you haven't had to pay the extra FSD $$ for anything currently released. NoA was an EAP promised feature (on ramp to off ramp AP).

Now, the HDW3 computer retrofits will be the first FSD only feature. However, I am guessing that will be too late for the 2016 lease holders. They will have already turned their cars in.

And why would you think that you are due a refund on a product for which A) Is a future product and B) There was some functionality. It wold be one thing if you actually bought the car.

It was not originally sold as a future feature with no idea of a release.. Heck the following year there was supposed to be a fleet of full driving Tesla's based on the 2016 description. Read the original FSD wording and you will see no one received what they paid for.

NoA and lane changes were released to EAP-only customers, so that is not an FSD feature. So far you haven't had to pay the extra FSD $$ for anything currently released. NoA was an EAP promised feature (on ramp to off ramp AP).

Now, the HDW3 computer retrofits will be the first FSD only feature. However, I am guessing that will be too late for the 2016 lease holders. They will have already turned their cars in.

Interesting thought....Treat it like Tesla has done with FUSC trade-ins and remove the FSD feature before it is resold but turned in from lease before HW3 retrofits begin in mass....either re-sale FSD on the same car, as Tesla is doing with SuperCharging on a large group of resold cars, or just take away the option on a resale and avoid the liability completely. Sounds pretty nefarious....yet plausible...

Not the best way to word it but I get the sentiment. I’m not a huge fan of leasing, and especially leasing and purchasing something like FSD for a temp vehicle. But in hindsight it’s a clearer answer.

Leasing def works for some people, can’t really fault them for hoping features would come in the immediate future.

Another thing that I just though of was how the FSD played into the residual value of the car. It would be interesting to see the difference between one with and one without. I'm guessing that it probably was calculate as a % of the depreciation. So if residual value was $60k on a $90k vehicle, then if FSD cost $5000, then only $1700 would have been factored into the lease. That, I suspect would make maximum claim, if these were the numbers, of only $1700. Put this through a team of lawyers and you might end up with a nice meal as a reward.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
FSD was $3k before delivery in 2016. The residual value for three year leases was something like 56% at the time, though there were variations and the tax credit screwed with those numbers. So an unused FSD purchase cost about $1320 across the three years, plus financing costs.

Reactions: MP3Mike
That, I suspect would make maximum claim, if these were the numbers, of only $1700. Put this through a team of lawyers and you might end up with a nice meal as a reward.

FSD was $3k before delivery in 2016. The residual value for three year leases was something like 56% at the time, though there were variations and the tax credit screwed with those numbers. So an unused FSD purchase cost about $1320 across the three years, plus financing costs.

Unless FSD was added after the lease started, in which case they would be out the whole cost.

There was zero... again it’s an easy fix. All of these cars are doing way more money on the re sale market than what they expected so All lease returns have HUGE built in margins due to stronger than expected demand on resale market. Tesla can do the right thing easily and I hope and think they will. Tesla residual value is ~20-30% above what they booked for on lease returns so for those who payed for fsd can easily money back or applied to next vehicle without bs of class action.
If this were the case then they could just buy the car at the end of the lease at the residual value, sell it, and keep that 20-30%.
Unless FSD was added after the lease started, in which case they would be out the whole cost.
I have a hard time believing that anyone would do that on a 3 year lease.
Is Tesla really refusing to refund the ~$1320? I'd like to hear how they justify not doing a refund.

If this were the case then they could just buy the car at the end of the lease at the residual value, sell it, and keep that 20-30%.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would do that on a 3 year lease.
Is Tesla really refusing to refund the ~$1320? I'd like to hear how they justify not doing a refund.
Why would they do a refund? The product was known to be a future product and they did deliver some features.

and they did deliver some features.

It is nice that you feel like you have received FSD features for your FSD purchase, but the reality is if you had not paid the extra $3k, your car would still have the exact same features today. Nothing would be missing if you had only bought EAP.

So the leaseholders could have saved the FSD $$ and still had the exact same features to enjoy over the lease period.