Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease specials??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a possibility there will be any sort of lease specials for the 3 after it's been released for a while? I'm guestimating when/if I do get it, it'll be around $50-$55k. I'm in no huge rush... I have to have AWD.

Earlier this year I leased a loaded Murano platinum for the wife, msrp $52k, I only put $4k down and the monthly pmt is $380, after taxes, reg, everything.

If there is any sort of lease special like that for the 3 I would jump on it on a heartbeat. I know Nissan is obviously a much much larger company, but it would be nice! I just want to save money over my current much more expensive finance pmt.

Wishful thinking?

Very probable that it's wishful thinking. Tesla has no problem selling or leasing at the price point they're pegging the cars sold at. So most likely you won't see any deal unless the Model 3 was a failure to attract buyers.

Special lease deals come about due to large discounts. Since you pay the difference between agreed price and residual (calculated based on MSRP) + rent/finance charges, big discounts significantly reduce monthly payment. High MSRP and low lease payments is a marketing ploy, to make you feel like you got a premium car for very low price.

The fact is the Murano was never a 52k car since it had to be so heavily discounted with very inflated residuals to get the low monthly payment. Try lease a real 52k car, say a very very lowly optioned Porsche Macan, and see how much your monthly will be.

Since Tesla does not discount, there won't be any lease "specials" except for inventory cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 206er
someone posted a while ago that Elon said on a conference call with investors that Tesla would not be subsidizing leases. Perhaps he can elaborate, clarify, or give some other indication of what financing and leasing plans Tesla may have in store for the Model 3 at this afternoon's meeting, if any.

But let's extrapolate on the S:

Base model: $69500 MSRP
Delivery Fee: $1200
Total: $70,700

Down Payment: 5000
Acquisition Fee: 695
First Months Payment: 826

Total Payments: 36 * 826 + 5000 (down) + 695 (fee) = 35421 (Basically 50% residual Value).

Model 3 Base: 35000
Delivery Fee: 1200
Total: 36200

Down: 2500
Monthly Payment should be 433.33+ tax
based on 50% residual value

Model 3 Fully Loaded: 75000
Delivery Fee: 1200
Total: 76200

Down: 2500
Monthly Payment should be 883.06+ tax
based on 45% residual value

someone posted a while ago that Elon said on a conference call with investors that Tesla would not be subsidizing leases. Perhaps he can elaborate, clarify, or give some other indication of what financing and leasing plans Tesla may have in store for the Model 3 at this afternoon's meeting, if any.
Tesla doesn't actually lease the vehicles themselves. Unlike most other manufacturers they don't have their own financing division, they merely put you in contact with one of the lenders that they work with who will determine their own terms and rates. You should also shop around and see what you can find on your own from a credit union or other lender you may already have a relationship with.

The fact is the Murano was never a 52k car since it had to be so heavily discounted with very inflated residuals to get the low monthly payment. Try lease a real 52k car, say a very very lowly optioned Porsche Macan, and see how much your monthly will be.
Usual thumb rule for premium cars is 10% down, 1% per month. So, a $52k car would be $520 a month after $5.2k down.

But lower MSRP EVs - when the tax credit is fully applied to reduce cap cost - can get you in much cheaper than this. But EVs have such reduced residual value (partly because of the tax credit !) - to get good leases, we need subsidies from manufacturer. This is how I've got <$200 with zero down on Leaf & Volt.

Even without discounts - a $35k base Model 3 should be zero down $250 a month (3 years), if all $7.5k tax credit is applied upfront.

Leasing Tesla cars is a terrible equity move.

I wish I could find the golden post but I think someone summed the math down to something like:

Over 9 years:

1.) Drive 3 Tesla cars and own none.
2.) Own 2 Tesla's free as clear.

Reactions: melindav
Special lease deals come about due to large discounts. Since you pay the difference between agreed price and residual (calculated based on MSRP) + rent/finance charges, big discounts significantly reduce monthly payment. High MSRP and low lease payments is a marketing ploy, to make you feel like you got a premium car for very low price.

Since Tesla does not discount, there won't be any lease "specials" except for inventory cars.

The Murano was a 2016 leftover... still had only like 50 miles, so technically brand new, but Nissan needed to get rid of the 2016's so they had an insane lease special on it. Ours was actually one of very few leftovers available - I checked every dealer within 1,000 miles. Without the discounts I think they said it would have been over $500/month.

The MSRP is right on the paperwork... they shouldn't be allowed to advertise a false MSRP. An AWD platinum with every single option and package is pretty expensive.

Usual thumb rule for premium cars is 10% down, 1% per month. So, a $52k car would be $520 a month after $5.2k down.

But lower MSRP EVs - when the tax credit is fully applied to reduce cap cost - can get you in much cheaper than this. But EVs have such reduced residual value (partly because of the tax credit !) - to get good leases, we need subsidies from manufacturer. This is how I've got <$200 with zero down on Leaf & Volt.

Even without discounts - a $35k base Model 3 should be zero down $250 a month (3 years), if all $7.5k tax credit is applied upfront.[/QUOTE].

That's a big if.
Tesla doesn't discount, so there will be no "killer" lease deals.... probably ever.

That's a big if.
Tesla doesn't discount, so there will be no "killer" lease deals.... probably ever.
Question is
- what will the residual be after 3 years ? 50%/55%/60%. ?
- What is the MF - market rate is quite low.
- The tax credit is meant to help people buy, by reducing the cost they have to pay monthly. I expect manufacturers to pass them on to the buyers.

Question is
- what will the residual be after 3 years ? 50%/55%/60%. ?
- What is the MF - market rate is quite low.
- The tax credit is meant to help people buy, by reducing the cost they have to pay monthly. I expect manufacturers to pass them on to the buyers.
  • anyone's guess. one could assume it would be similar to S or X, but this is a 35K (starting price) car, not a $70K+ car
  • again, anyone's guess. I wouldn't be surprised if it was .002 or even worse. Tesla MFs have always been horrible.
  • that's not what Telsa (or their leasing partners) does unfortunately or at least what they have been doing. Credit gets absorbed into the residual value.

Overall, Tesla has terrible lease deal, with crappy residuals compared to BMW or MB and very terrible MF.

It's generally a better deal to buy instead of lease a Tesla even assuming you sell within 2-3 years.

I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate. Nobody wants to buy older generation smartphones. I guess you can find someone, but it'll be at severely reduced price. It'll be a similar situation for Tesla's. I'm sort of envious of people with AP2.

I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate. Nobody wants to buy older generation smartphones. I guess you can find someone, but it'll be at severely reduced price. It'll be a similar situation for Tesla's. I'm sort of envious of people with AP2.
It really does feel like tech is moving so fast that a new Tesla today could be significantly less desirable a few years from now compared to what the market has historically seen for used vehicles. Size-issues aside, I wasn't even remotely interested in the "affordable" high mileage CPO Model Ss that Tesla put up on their site last week because most were just too old to compete with where cars are today and where they're headed in terms of tech.

I think that this sort of difficult-to-quantify variable of antiquated tech is what makes a seemingly "bad" Tesla lease deal tempting.