TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lease trade-in experience?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jsdupont, May 25, 2018.

1. jsdupont

jsdupont New Member

The Tesla website mentions that you can trade-in a leased car. Has anyone done this with Tesla?

I have an Audi S4 (very low milage) that is leased until June 2019. I'm trying to figure out what's my best option:

1) Wait to configure my Model 3 until my lease is over in a couple of months

2) Transfer my lease through LeaseBuster or the like

3) trade-in my lease with Tesla (is there a tax benefit to trade-in a leased car)?

Any advice would be welcomed :)

2. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

The trade in quotes have been a bit low ball.
    You don't own the leased car, so there is no value in it that you can use to offset against the Tesla
    The tax amount for the trade in value of a used car would simply be (used_car_value * local_tax_rate). In other words, subtract the trade in value from the Tesla price and use the new value for tax calculations.

Hope that helps

3. jsdupont

jsdupont New Member

It does, thank you. Bottom line is either I find someone to take over my lease or I wait...

4. Tomayr

Tomayr Member

Your Audi S4 with low kms could be one of the few exceptions to the rules. They are desire-able cars that the wholesaler Tesla uses might be after, as the car will sell well on the US market.

It could be possible that the buyout + remaining lease payments is much less than the current used value of the car.

5. joseph_hac

joseph_hac Member

Definitely don't count on trading in a leased vehicle to Tesla. I have a leased Landrover with a year left on it. Comparable CPOs go for $46K, lease buyout was ~$37K, and they offered me $30K.