Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Please check out the latest TMC Podcast (#13) where we discussed new Model Y launches, Tesla improving service, nationwide EV charging expansion, and viewer comments from previous episodes YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Lease Trade-In Question

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
Or just do carvana. That service is crazy convenient they literally show up take the car and hand you a check. That was my preference but the system couldn’t figure out how to value a model s for whatever reason, and no one would return outreach. I have used it for other cars - fantastic.
Carvana is great. We sold them my wife's 7 year old minivan with 70,000 miles on it for $19,000. That was $4,500 more than the dealer offered on trade-in. They made it super easy too. Won't work with a Tesla lease though. If you own it outright it will, but not if you leased it from Tesla (vs a third party finance company).

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
You can still buy out the lease, then sell it to a third party. More moving parts but ultimately I believe you can get to the same end result.
I don't believe you can do that if your lease didn't have an end of lease buyout option like all the Model 3s from the past few years. I was trying to trade in a leased Model 3 on my new Model S Plaid. Tesla's trade-in offer was crap, so I held out to go to a third party dealer but that was a mistake. Tesla has screwed so many of them over they won't de business with Tesla Finance any longer.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC