TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lease Transfer

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jtrader, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

Any advice on taking over an existing lease on a 2015 Model S? I'm ok with the car, the payment, the months left, and the mileage remaining. I plan to just turn it in at the end. Will Tesla honor the warranty and service it as if I had bought it or leased it from them? I live 104 miles from the nearest service center. Do they still offer ranger and/or loaner service that far away?

2. ChadFeldheimer

I've done this.

> Will Tesla honor the warranty and service it as if I had bought it or leased it from them?

Yup! During a lease transfer, the owner (the bank) actually does not change.

> Do they still offer ranger and/or loaner service that far away?

Don't know about ranger. I've received a loaner - YMMV.

The one oddity through the lease transfer process was that US Bank recommended that the "seller" maintain possession of the car until US Bank received and processed the transfer paperwork (a window of multiple days). So if something were to happen to the car during the transfer process, things can get messy.

Everything else about the transfer was pretty nominal.

Good luck!