Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease Turn In - Excess Wear & Tear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am coming to the end of my MX lease after 3 years. Lease ends 12/13.
I have a MX with the 22" Pirelli Scorpion tires. They definitely need replacing, after 30K miles. 2 wheels also have curb rash.

Question is: Should I turn it in this way or just take care of these 2 items myself? In your experience, what's the best route?

Thanks!!

If the tires have less tread than is required at turn in, which should be in your lease document, you should replace them first, as they will likely charge you top city slicker rates for new tires. (And you can choose the cheapest compatible tire available to put on, or even buy a used set with enough tread on it.)

As far as the curb rash it depends on how bad it is. I have heard that they let it slide or charge reasonable rates to repair. (But I've also heard they charged excessively to repair it.)

Tires = "Tread depths less than 4/32”; tires that do not meet Tesla’s standards for size and/or rating (speed and seasonal); mismatched tires (other than brand); or dry rot, cupped, cut, or sidewall plugs"
Wheels = "Any bent or broken part, missing or corroded wheel covers; mismatched wheels; three or more scratches, gouges, or dents per wheel"

Follow the Lease Excess Wear and Use Guide carefully prior to turning in the car. Make sure you take lots of pictures. There have been several posts recently with folks turning in their car and getting large bills 3 months later for excess wear.

Excess Wear and Use Guide

You need to return a lease with basically new tires (4). Curb rash, eh, depends on how bad. Is it bent?

Are you buying a new car from Tesla? With ICE, if you return a lease but buy a new one from the dealer you can normally get away with a lot of wear and tear items.

Tires = "Tread depths less than 4/32”; tires that do not meet Tesla’s standards for size and/or rating (speed and seasonal); mismatched tires (other than brand); or dry rot, cupped, cut, or sidewall plugs"
Wheels = "Any bent or broken part, missing or corroded wheel covers; mismatched wheels; three or more scratches, gouges, or dents per wheel"

Follow the Lease Excess Wear and Use Guide carefully prior to turning in the car. Make sure you take lots of pictures. There have been several posts recently with folks turning in their car and getting large bills 3 months later for excess wear.

Excess Wear and Use Guide

Thanks for the list. The descriptions are pretty specific. I am going to measure and document the condition with pictures prior to turning in my X.