Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease vs buy - a spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with you that we should not make decision based on next big thing in the fast moving tech world. The thing bothering me is so many complaints round MY. You can easily find tons of articles on MY quality issues. Is there any statistics if those issues are addressed at root?

I just got one last week Wednesday and was concerned as well. I voiced my concern to my sales advisor and he checked it before my arrival. I triple checked it as well and couldn’t find any issues. If you depend on the comments on this forum, you’ll never be happy with your car. Most ppl that are satisfied won’t comment. Not saying their concerns are not valid but these are not the majority of the buyers and the SA also said that the vehicles have been coming in better condition now. When I had my model 3, I didn’t even know this forum existed. I just enjoyed the hell out of the car. Once I joined this forum, I’ve learned a lot but also extremely paranoid. Thankfully my Y took that away.

Reactions: hakunamattata
I just got one last week Wednesday and was concerned as well. I voiced my concern to my sales advisor and he checked it before my arrival. I triple checked it as well and couldn’t find any issues. If you depend on the comments on this forum, you’ll never be happy with your car. Most ppl that are satisfied won’t comment. Not saying their concerns are not valid but these are not the majority of the buyers and the SA also said that the vehicles have been coming in better condition now. When I had my model 3, I didn’t even know this forum existed. I just enjoyed the hell out of the car. Once I joined this forum, I’ve learned a lot but also extremely paranoid. Thankfully my Y took that away.
Thanks for telling your story. It's true that "Most ppl that are satisfied won’t comment." As an individual, where may I get full picture about MY quality. Even Consumer Reports gives most MY evaluations as NA.

Down with getting a Y. Just don’t know whether to lease or buy. Also always love using spreadsheets to tell the full picture so I was hoping you could take a look and let me know which is a better option.

I definitely like to drive but the leasing is looking attractive

Lease vs Buy
Interesting. I’ve been trying to decide the exact same thing. Coming from BMW it was almost always better to lease. Between incentives and the fact that their depreciation is terrible.
I tried to open the google sheet and it said I needed permission.

Another factor to consider is that........purchasing a MY can provide tax savings via EV tax credits on your Federal and State Income taxes at year-end. Tax credits are great! Your mileage may vary depending on which state you live in.
I noticed on the fine print that if you accept the state incentive (at least here in NYS), you waive your right to return the vehicle within 7 days/1,000 miles. I'm OK with it as you generally couldn't return a new car to a traditional dealer either. But, good to be aware. Tesla does allow you to keep the return provision but only if you forfeit the incentive - in NYS that's $2K.

I used a lease calculator to come up with Tesla's imputed residual for model Y. I used MSRP including 1200 destination fee, 4500 capital cost reduction and a money factor equivalent to Tesla's 2.49 percent rate on loans. In order to get 499 monthly rate for 36 months residual came to approximately 62 percent. According to a study by iseecars.com as reported by electric.co, three year old model 3 cars lost only 10.2 percent of their value. If the model Y follows this pattern you are giving Tesla 28 percent of the cars value when turning it in after 36 months when leasing vs. buying and then selling it. Even if you sell at a discount it seems you would be way ahead.
That low level of depreciation is unlikely to be sustained with more options in the market and Tesla’s increased production capacity.

Reactions: hakunamattata