TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lease vs Finance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sagaboy, May 22, 2015.

1. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Hi guys/gals,
    I am soon gonna be a proud owner of s70d and wanted to know if anyone had some idea which is better. Lease vs Finance. From a business lease vs personal loan.
    I was told that if leasing (under a business) you can only right off a maximum $900 a month and if I were to finance it I can invoice the business .50c a km. Was wondering if anyone had this similar issue and if so what did you do?

Appreciate any help..

2. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

You can only invoice the business 30% per per year calculated on up to $30,000, plus interest, plus repairs plus the applicable HST if you collect and remit. I think thats the formula.

3. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

WOW:biggrin: Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to be a pain but is that for leasing or is it just the standard maximum for both?(leasing & Financing)

Thanks again

4. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I'm self-employed and used to lease all of my cars prior to my Tesla. When I got mine 18 months ago, leasing was not an option in Ontario so I financed mine with the Scotia 7 year @ 3.99% package being offered by Tesla. What I now do for taxes is use the car allowance price per km that the CRA allows. This is an all in amount so you don't claim other expenses separately. When I compared the leasing method to this one, I think I'm doing better using the mileage allowance.

5. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Thanks. Cwave1. That really helps. Just curious how much km do you put on your ms?

6. swrving

swrving Member

I also take the mileage approach, I believe it's $0.55/km for the first 5000km/year, and $0.50/km thereafter. In general I drive about 35k per year 20-25k for business.

7. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Thanks serving. I'm now being torn between these 2 issues and feel that I'm gonna lean towards leasing in the event tesla goes bad (20% chance) at least I'll have someone to buy the car in case. I dont want this but could happen.

8. allanhof

allanhof Member

Financing about half the vehicle....I plan on keeping mine a while and do not want to be hampered by mileage overages etc.