Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I’m new here so please pardon the n00b question. I am having issues with a lease return. Am returning my Model S and leasing a new one.
Tesla apparently sold my lease to a company in Houston, Texas. I live in California. They want me to return the car to Texas and pay a disposition fee even though I was promised (verbally) that they would not charge a disposition fee if I ordered a new Tesla.
Driving my car over 1200 miles to Texas to return it seems over the top. The car was leased at the factory in Fremont, California.

Is this the new normal? I have been a Tesla buyer for over 10 years and this is a first for me.

You need to talk with the Tesla store you are buying your car from. All this should be in writing somewhere. Where do you agree to drive your car to Texas? Ask them to show where you agreed to do this. If not in writing, make sure the tesla store knows that you will not be doing this. The waiver of the disposition fee should also be in writing. If not, Tesla can promise anything verbally and not deliver. All car dealers do this.

Upvote 0
I think I got baited. As far as going to the store, I placed the order entirely online in California and took delivery in their factory in Fremont, California. Tesla is telling me they have nothing to do with returns because they transferred the lease to another company.

Upvote 0
That sounds weird and possibly some miscommunication going on.
As DerbyDave pointed out, you leased the car from Tesla, you return it to Tesla. If Tesla sold the lease to another company during the term then it’s on them to ship the car to that company, your contract is with Tesla.

Upvote 0
I think I got baited. As far as going to the store, I placed the order entirely online in California and took delivery in their factory in Fremont, California. Tesla is telling me they have nothing to do with returns because they transferred the lease to another company.
What happened with your situation? I’ve not heard of Tesla selling leases, and regardless they cannot expect you to return it to another state.

Upvote 0