Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing an eGolf for 30 months and wait for Model X CPO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leasing an eGolf for 30 months and wait for Model X CPO?
My wife thinks the depreciation of brand new Telsa Model X is too much. So the compromise I can do is to lease a eGolf for 30 months and wait until then .
But how much will a 30 month old 100D cost at that time? Is the wait worth it? Thanks
You only live once. Get the Model X, or at least a CPO Model S now. Your wife, once you have it, will happily agree it was the right decision. Add to that, should in the next 30 months, you or your wife have a serious accident and you have the X or S, vs. an eGolf, your decision may have saved your or her life.

Reactions: Cowby
You only live once. Get the Model X, or at least a CPO Model S now. Your wife, once you have it, will happily agree it was the right decision. Add to that, should in the next 30 months, you or your wife have a serious accident and you have the X or S, vs. an eGolf, your decision may have saved your or her life.

After some analysis, here are the final 3 key points

1. Depreciation -- I probably can get this 100D for 75000 3 years later. Or we can get a 400 mile range X or model 3.
2. We still want to get a second house in 5 years or shorter. This $105,000 will help a lot, or even the last inch or reach.

3. I am using a finance to buy the car. The 2% interest for six years on my 700,000 loan will add another $5000 cost or so

all this above ... is it worth $7200 for 30 months?

apparently 2.5 years later we won't get any Federal credit and CA rebate on new model X/S/3

I'd suggest, although still pricey, is to just fine a used Model X, likely at 90D that has depreciated down around now to 85-90K, low miles. You'll have warranty left, get performance, etc.

The P90 depreciates more, and P100D definitely even more, but 75/90 less. Most of the depreciation happens in the first year so if you get someone selling theirs to upgrade for example (a lot are) with AP1, then you should get a good deal and will see depreciation more at a normal level.

Plus, see you are in NY. That is a cold climate so in worst of times you'll only get about 60% at times of the actual stated range. eGolf would be horrid, plus you'll want AWD.

Reactions: Dr Doom
I'd suggest, although still pricey, is to just fine a used Model X, likely at 90D that has depreciated down around now to 85-90K, low miles. You'll have warranty left, get performance, etc.

The P90 depreciates more, and P100D definitely even more, but 75/90 less. Most of the depreciation happens in the first year so if you get someone selling theirs to upgrade for example (a lot are) with AP1, then you should get a good deal and will see depreciation more at a normal level.

Plus, see you are in NY. That is a cold climate so in worst of times you'll only get about 60% at times of the actual stated range. eGolf would be horrid, plus you'll want AWD.

Sorry, I should have changed my location long time ago. Now I am in San Jose, CA.
According to what you say, sounds like I should get a X 2.5 years later, especially see if I can afford a P90D P100D at that time?

Ahhh, well in CA you should be better, but still note you never get truly stated range most of the time if you freeway drive, etc.

I think most Xs I've seen here 1 year later are reasonable, 90Ds I've seen around 88K give or take some. Personally, no reason to get a P90D or P100D, unless going fast at the start is THAT important. A 90D is still faster than most cars on the road even. The novelty of the Performance cars wears off after a while if you don't want to be jolted around too much anyway.

I'd say at maybe by September, you should see some 90Ds in the 75k-80k range on average. Plus, while you don't get the tax credit, you'll probably save a decent amount on sales tax (depending on what your state does for a minimum fee still).

Totally up to you and on taste of car. Hard to say as the eGolf and Model X are completely different types of cars in size, functionality, tech, etc. Especially range, which "is king" if you ask most people.

One thing that I am not satisfied with the loaner P100D S is that, the actual power consumption is always 400+ wh/mi in real life. So the claimed 300+ mile is almost impossible unless you always drive on high way 80% of you travel and run under 65.
But then bah, $7200 can give you a lot of SC charges, so not worth the wait.
So the key point is still the depreciation and house fund.

Also, to get a 90,000 90D, you still have to add the 9% tax. So, a $70,000 90D with AP2 might be more worth it.

One thing that I am not satisfied with the loaner P100D S is that, the actual power consumption is always 400+ wh/mi in real life. So the claimed 300+ mile is almost impossible unless you always drive on high way 80% of you travel and run under 65.
But then bah, $7200 can give you a lot of SC charges, so not worth the wait.
So the key point is still the depreciation and house fund.

The 90D also requires like a 320watt per mile consumption to get rated range, which is very hard too. Especially since it has actually like a 86kWh battery with only like 81 available. The 100D (not performance) technically has 100kWh I believe and is the best deal new now. Snagging one of those in 1-2 years is good.

Some great options are due out in 1-2 years though from Jaquar, VW, Volvo even, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

The 90D also requires like a 320watt per mile consumption to get rated range, which is very hard too. Especially since it has actually like a 86kWh battery with only like 81 available. The 100D (not performance) technically has 100kWh I believe and is the best deal new now. Snagging one of those in 1-2 years is good.

Some great options are due out in 1-2 years though from Jaquar, VW, Volvo even, Mercedes, Audi, etc.
Exactly my point... Model X 100D is heavier than P100D S, so I really doubt that I can use it as planned with assumption of 300 miles range.
The last thing I want to hear is my wife's complain when we are on a trip, the Model X makes us go to Super Charger more often than what I told her, and SC is slower than what I told her.
Hopefully in 2.5 years later things will change, especially the charge speed?

So sounds like you suggest me to lease a car and wait? Or maybe do a 36 months lease instead of 30 months?I need a car for commute now, and for longer weekend short trip and errant, I can use my 10 years old Corolla.

Last edited: