Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing and Custom License Plate - CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you order CA personalized plates, you own the plates and can transfer it to another vehicle after your lease expires. You must register the personalized plates to another vehicle afterwards or pay a fee to retain them. For more info: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info#BM2517.
Also check out the 1960's legacy personalized plates, (black with yellow lettering), looks lot better than the white with blue lettering on certain color cars. Waiting for mine, per my talk with DMV today, they plan on starting the first batch in late June.

When you order CA personalized plates, you own the plates and can transfer it to another vehicle after your lease expires. You must register the personalized plates to another vehicle afterwards or pay a fee to retain them. For more info: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info#BM2517.
Also check out the 1960's legacy personalized plates, (black with yellow lettering), looks lot better than the white with blue lettering on certain color cars. Waiting for mine, per my talk with DMV today, they plan on starting the first batch in late June.

Thanks. From my google, mainly from other states it requires the lease company to provide some form of sign off for you to get a custom plate.

I assume that is not required in California?

So once I receive my registered license plate from DMV from the production process, I can then go request to have a custom license plate to take it's place?

Thanks. From my google, mainly from other states it requires the lease company to provide some form of sign off for you to get a custom plate.

I assume that is not required in California?

So once I receive my registered license plate from DMV from the production process, I can then go request to have a custom license plate to take it's place?

Actually you don't need to have your plates yet to apply for personalized plates. Just order your personalized plates (takes about 4-6 wks) and select whether you want to pick them up at DMV or local AAA club (must be a member of course). When the personalized plates arrive they will notify you and you will need to bring your registration and current license plates to exchange. Done it at least 5 times. Here's the link to check if the plate you want is available. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do

Anyone know how long it takes for a custom license plate to arrive and how are you notified? I placed in the purchase 07/02, picked up the car on 07/07. Received my standard plate 07/23, but haven't received any notification on the custom place.

I don't recall when registering it ask for your email address, so I didn't get an email confirmation number when I had submitted it online. Trying to think should I just mount this standard place or not. I submitted for HOV access on 07/27 via the standard plate, so I guess I will need to update the info once the custom place arrive.

from the DMV website:
How long does it take to get the plates?Personalized plates will be available about 10–12 weeks after they are ordered online or the completed Special Interest License Plate Application is received by DMV. You will receive up to three notifications (approximately 30–days apart) from the office you selected when you ordered the plate. If after the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] notice, you have not picked up your plates within 30–days, the plates will be destroyed and the selection you made will be made available to another customer. A refund will not be issued.

So, after you return your lease and then let say you buy another Tesla or end up getting a Nissan Leaf. At which point I then register the personalized plate to another vehicle? Or do I transfer it to myself as a non-vehicle prior to returning the lease?

Actually you don't need to have your plates yet to apply for personalized plates. Just order your personalized plates (takes about 4-6 wks) and select whether you want to pick them up at DMV or local AAA club (must be a member of course). When the personalized plates arrive they will notify you and you will need to bring your registration and current license plates to exchange. Done it at least 5 times. Here's the link to check if the plate you want is available. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do

Well, I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it looks like in California is no longer possible to obtain a personalized plate for a leased car:

State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, Special Interest License Plate Internet Ordering System

If I try it, I get this warning:

"You cannot order a Personalized Special Interest License Plate online for a leased or company owned vehicle. Please contact your local DMV for more information."

Any ideas? Is that it?! Or do I need to ask personally to the DMV?

I believe that the owner of the vehicle (in this case the lessor or tesla leasing, not you) needs to sign off on the personalized plate application. Normally you can do this with a simple form when you pick up the vehicle. If it is after delivery and initial delivery of plates, then there is paperwork the leasing company needs to sign off on.

Reactions: emchen
That is new information. I have personalized plates on both of my leased cars. I ordered those plates online two years ago. I will be interested if there is a workaround, because I will be in the market to lease another Smart ED in July and I wanted to transfer my existing TOY TSLA plates to that new car. MB Financial would be the lessor and they are pretty inflexible.

Sorry for my late reply guys (!!) I missed notifications for this thread and thought nobody replied to it since February!

Anyhow, Ampster, when you got your personalized plates, did you notify and let your leasing company know about it? If not, did you just go to the DMV with the regular plates to be exchanged? And if so, what do you plan to do when it is time to return your cars? Very curious to know that... thank you!

It was over two years ago and I didn't notify my leasing companies. One set of plates was from a previously owned car and I did the plate exchange at the Auto Club. I recently turned in one of those cars and just left the plates on the car. I haven't seen the final bill from the leasing company so I don't know if there will be a charge for getting new plates. Presumably the leasing company won't want the personalized plates.

It was over two years ago and I didn't notify my leasing companies. One set of plates was from a previously owned car and I did the plate exchange at the Auto Club. I recently turned in one of those cars and just left the plates on the car. I haven't seen the final bill from the leasing company so I don't know if there will be a charge for getting new plates. Presumably the leasing company won't want the personalized plates.

Thank you for your reply. So, did you leave inside your returned car your own personalized plates? If so, didn't you lose them forever?

Thank you for your reply. So, did you leave inside your returned car your own personalized plates? If so, didn't you lose them forever?
Yes, I lost them forever. They were for my Chevy Volt and we're specific to that car, which was my pathway to my Tesla. I also have TOY TSLA plates on my Smart ED and plan on leasing another because it is the perfect complement to my Model X.

Yes, I lost them forever. They were for my Chevy Volt and we're specific to that car, which was my pathway to my Tesla. I also have TOY TSLA plates on my Smart ED and plan on leasing another because it is the perfect complement to my Model X.

I see.. To bad to lose personalized plates, that's something I'd like to avoid. Is there any way to keep the personalized ones and have back the originals? Or to simply transfer your personalized ones to a different car?

Is there any way to keep the personalized ones and have back the originals?
Yes, that is exactly what I did on my TOY TSLA plates. They were orinally on my Toyota RAV4EV (drivetrain by Tesla). When I sold it, I kept the plates and new owner got new plates. Then, when I leased the Smart ED, I went to Auto Club and turned in plates and got TOY TSLA plates registered to Smart ED

Yes, that is exactly what I did on my TOY TSLA plates. They were orinally on my Toyota RAV4EV (drivetrain by Tesla). When I sold it, I kept the plates and new owner got new plates. Then, when I leased the Smart ED, I went to Auto Club and turned in plates and got TOY TSLA plates registered to Smart ED

Ok, so, here is the point: once you'll give your leased Smart ED back, what is going to happen? Can you keep your TOY TSLA plates?