Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing - Is yearly maintenance required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
I was told by my DS that I will be required to have the yearly maintenance performed as part of a lease program. I don't see this anywhere on the Tesla website.

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? Other than oil changes (which I could've done myself), I've never been REQUIRED to return a vehicle for service as part of a lease program. I am finding this odd.

This is all the info from the Tesla website with regards to leasing:

Leasing
Tesla leasing is a three year program with 12,000 and 15,000 annual mileage options. A $5,000 down payment, $695 acquisition fee, and the first month’s lease payment is due when picking up your Model S. A $395 disposition fee is required when returning your Model S at the end of your lease.
Every lease comes with Tesla’s Happiness Guarantee. If you don’t like your car for any reason within the first three months, you can return it and your remaining lease obligation is waived. While you cannot immediately lease another Model S, you can upgrade to a higher optioned Model S for a fee to cover the new vs used value difference. Contact us for more information.

Jason

You need to see what the lease agreement spells out on the form from US Bank. I have a current lease with US Bank and am not required to do service at a dealer.You are not required to do the annual service to maintain the warranty so it sounds like it is up to you.

They are making it seem as if I won't see this agreement until I get the car.

The rep at auto finance and my DS both confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that the yearly maintenance is REQUIRED with a lease.

It's not a $$$ thing, I just think it's ridiculous they have this requirement and don't explain it on their website.

EDIT: Just called a few Tesla company stores and all have confirmed this requirement. So I asked what the penalty is if you don't do it. Well, they don't really know. They explained you would just have to pay extra when you turn in the car to cover the increased drop in value due to not servicing the vehicle. But how much you'd have to pay is UNKNOWN.

So Patrick40363, if you leased through Tesla, you are required to perform the service. You may want to check your agreement as they confirmed this has been a requirement from day 1.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Just received a phone call back from a Tesla store and was told that if I elect to not perform the routine service and the car requires some type of mechanical repair when I turn in the lease I will have to pay for it assuming the defect was a result of not performing the routine service.

So, I mentioned the car is warrantied for 4yrs regardless of whether or not the routine service is performed so I don't understand why I would be responsible for paying for repair work that is covered by the factory warranty. If I rolled the car in 36 months after purchasing it via cash/finance, and it needed a PILE of work, I would not have to pay a dime for the repairs.

Why is this different with a lease?

Last edited:
Very strange they would require that. I am about to lease with a March delivery and wasn't planning on doing the maint. program. I was not told that I have use the maint. program, but I haven't signed my papers yet either.

My current lease is not with Tesla. It ends in March when I pick up my Tesla. I am purchasing my Tesla instead of leasing. Leasing through Tesla is a bit rich for me. Good idea when you lease to not put any money down. My current lease was no money down.
They are making it seem as if I won't see this agreement until I get the car.

The rep at auto finance and my DS both confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that the yearly maintenance is REQUIRED with a lease.

It's not a $$$ thing, I just think it's ridiculous they have this requirement and don't explain it on their website.

EDIT: Just called a few Tesla company stores and all have confirmed this requirement. So I asked what the penalty is if you don't do it. Well, they don't really know. They explained you would just have to pay extra when you turn in the car to cover the increased drop in value due to not servicing the vehicle. But how much you'd have to pay is UNKNOWN.

So Patrick40363, if you leased through Tesla, you are required to perform the service. You may want to check your agreement as they confirmed this has been a requirement from day 1.

It does not make sense, you get a three year lease but the Yearly Service contracts are for four years. Why pay for the extra year?

My last vehicle was serviced completely free by BMW for the full 3 years including brakes except tires; it was perhaps bundled into the lease payment.

You do not have to pay the 4 year service agreement with discounted price. Just do yearly service - pay as you go. You will end up doing 2 services (end of year 1 and end of year 2) as at the end of the 3rd you turn in your car.

I lease my P85D.

Ok, I have a question about the requirement of the annual maintenance while under lease... I've read in all the forums, everyone says maintenance is not required for a lease. I just pulled out my lease agreement with US Bank and, on page 2, item 19A says: "You agree to have the Vehicle serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer's recommendations and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid." I'm not concerned about the "warranty" piece, necessarily, but the "...serviced ... according to the manufacturer's recommendation" definitely stands out.

Is my lease with US Bank from July of 2016 any different from everyone else's? :-/

TIA!
Heath

VEHICLE MAINTENANCE AND OPERATING COSTS. You agree to maintain the Vehicle in good working order and operating condition and
have all necessary repairs made. You are responsible for all costs of maintaining and servicing the Vehicle. You agree to have the Vehicle
serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer’s recommendations and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid. You will keep all
maintenance and repair records. You agree to comply with all manufacturer recall notices. You agree to pay for all operating costs including, but
not limited to, traffic and parking tickets or violations, towing and replacement tires.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a question about the requirement of the annual maintenance while under lease... I've read in all the forums, everyone says maintenance is not required for a lease. I just pulled out my lease agreement with US Bank and, on page 2, item 19A says: "You agree to have the Vehicle serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer's recommendations and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid." I'm not concerned about the "warranty" piece, necessarily, but the "...serviced ... according to the manufacturer's recommendation" definitely stands out.

Is my lease with US Bank from July of 2016 any different from everyone else's? :-/

TIA!
Heath

VEHICLE MAINTENANCE AND OPERATING COSTS. You agree to maintain the Vehicle in good working order and operating condition and
have all necessary repairs made. You are responsible for all costs of maintaining and servicing the Vehicle. You agree to have the Vehicle
serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer’s recommendations
and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid. You will keep all
maintenance and repair records.
You agree to comply with all manufacturer recall notices. You agree to pay for all operating costs including, but
not limited to, traffic and parking tickets or violations, towing and replacement tires.

The difference is that is from US Bank and not Tesla. It is probably a generic contract they use for every car they lease. Tesla vehicles do not require maintenance to maintain warranty, so they most certainly would not require one for leases.

Reactions: Heathman
Interesting. Never had that came up on a BMW or Mercedes lease.

If I turn it in at the end of the lease, they would just do a visual inspection. That was all. I had used Allied Bank and US Bank. No problems. I never even had to bring my car in for maintenance at the dealership. Did it all by myself.

The difference is that is from US Bank and not Tesla. It is probably a generic contract they use for every car they lease. Tesla vehicles do not require maintenance to maintain warranty, so they most certainly would not require one for leases.

Except the language used is not really subject to any other interpretation:

I just pulled out my lease agreement with US Bank and, on page 2, item 19A says: "You agree to have the Vehicle serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer's recommendations and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid."

It doesn't say you have to have it serviced in order to maintain the warranty, it says you have to have it serviced and also maintain the warranty...

In the UK for example PCP contracts do require that the Tesla maintenance schedule is adhered to in order to maintain the GMV, and it isn't really a stretch from there to expect that a lease would want the same as the full service history is still an important part of achieving the best resale value at the end of a lease.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really appreciate it. I went ahead and had the 2 year service performed this weekend (picked my car up today, actually) and paid the $725. I thought "What the hell.... I don't pay for oil changes or anything other than electricity so, might as well." I didn't want to take a chance with US Bank leasing next year plus, I love the car and do want to take care of it for another year. Again, thanks for the replies!

This thread is out of date anyway.

Since this was written Tesla dropped the required annual maintenance schedule and switched to an 'as needed' basis.

So the lease/PCP requirements to service in line with manufacturers recommendations no long needs the sort of annual maintenance that was going on before...

• Informative
Reactions: VikH