TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Leasing MX 90D in Texas

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ramaa, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ramaa

ramaa New Member

New Jersey has no sales tax, and one of my best friends lives there. Can I have him cosign the lease and "buy" it in New Jersey to take advantage of the sales tax incentive?

2. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

I'm in Texas you have to pay the full sales tax amount even if you lease. If NJ will credit you back sales tax paid on an out of state purchase it might work.

3. JasJ

JasJ Member

#3 JasJ, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    I wanted to lease in Texas, but with the tax, the numbers did not make much sense unless you have a company where you can write it off. You are adding between $6000 and $10000 to the lease payments over 24-36 payments, then the way Tesla handles the Federal Tax credit, origination and disposal fees, it is that much worse.

Less hassle to just walk away at the end, but unless the current S & X take a massive nosedive on resale, you are better just buying in most cases (in Texas).

And if the car 'lives' in Texas, you will pay tax on the full amount.

4. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Don't forget about personal property tax as well. Most major cities in Texas levy this type of tax. Amounts to about $150-$400 per year, depending on your sales price.

5. ramaa

ramaa New Member

well if i have my friend register at his house, wouldn't that work? I found a company that does out of state registration for the consumer.

Beacon National Auto Tag and Title

New vehicles in the state of New Jersey don't need inspections either, so it seems the car doesn't need to physically be there

6. JasJ

JasJ Member

Sure, If you never want Texas plates and the local police don't care. Assuming you can get Jersey plates. Probably would work for a couple of years.

7. ramaa

ramaa New Member

well its just a 3 year lease, and i stand to save $5,000

8. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

Or register a montana llc