Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing Tesla system now, can I install 2nd system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend leased Tesla system which is about 5kW. He purchases solar generated power at $0.18/kWh while PG& chages minimum $0.25/kWh.

The 5kW system just covers about 50% of his usage, and he did not realize that PG&E tier 1 would cost so much now. So he is looking to increase the size of solar system.

Right now his best option is to install another system paid in full to cover 100% of his usage. But the big question is, can he do it?

The other option is to ask Tesla to add more panels, but Tesla asked him to sign new contract, and not only the 20 years term would be reset, but also the price of generated power would also be increased to $0.26/kWh.

So, can my friend simply install his own system, in parallel to Tesla's system? If so, can his own system cover 100% and leave Tesla system in dust? We tried to look at Tesla's contract but it is so long to make us scratch our heads to find the answer.

In general, I think any solar company wants the system on the home currently to be owned, not leased. Someone posted about this with sunrun, but it is likely the same. I will see if I can find the post.

TL ; DR, no dont think so. Your friend will need to buy out that tesla leased system before doing anything with PV on the home.

I should add, however, you can purchase just powerwalls to go with that leased system (back when tesla sold just powerwalls). I did that, in fact (my system is from solar city and a PPA, but I may buy it out this year if I can get them to give me a decent price on it). I was able to pay for powerwalls and add them to the leased system.

What I could not have done, however, is add another PV system to my home.

Last edited:
PPA and leases are very similar. The homeowner doesn’t own the system until the end of the absurd term or buys the asset from the administrator. While the lease or PPA are active, the homeowner typically has some production guarantee, but the homeowner cannot claim the ITC or subsidies (SGIP or SREC).

Loans and all-cash are similar where the homeowner effectively owns the system. So the homeowner gets the ITC or other spiffs. There are some installers that provide production guarantees, but this is rare. It’s usually up to the homeowner to deal with over or under production.

Reactions: h2ofun
I guess it would depend on the terms of the PPA as to whether he can install an additional system. If it is not prohibited they would have to be separate. There is no electrical limitation on two or more systems other than the limits of the electrical service panel.

In general, I think any solar company wants the system on the home currently to be owned, not leased. Someone posted about this with sunrun, but it is likely the same. I will see if I can find the post.

TL ; DR, no dont think so. Your friend will need to buy out that tesla leased system before doing anything with PV on the home.

I should add, however, you can purchase just powerwalls to go with that leased system (back when tesla sold just powerwalls). I did that, in fact (my system is from solar city and a PPA, but I may buy it out this year if I can get them to give me a decent price on it). I was able to pay for powerwalls and add them to the leased system.

What I could not have done, however, is add another PV system to my home.

From the thread I linked above:

Tesla came back and said I'd have to own outright for them to do this job. Hopefully someone else who's local can do my add-on while I keep my existing SunRun system.

The question from this person was "tesla can i purchase a new system from you with a leased system from sunrun?"

FWIW one of my existing systems is a leased Tesla/SolarCity system. I purchased a new system that was installed about 6 weeks ago. All my PV systems are feeding the generation electrical panel that feeds my Powerwall gateway. So was at least possible in the past.
Can you shed more details? Your new system is also Tesla? My friend's current PPA is SolarCity/Tesla and utility company is PG&E.

The best scenario is to install 2nd system to cover 100%...

We bought our first solar system from Tesla and then had them expand it a year later. While we don't have direct experience with expanding a leased system, I'm sure Tesla would be interested in the sale as it allows them to make even more off an existing customer.

Can you shed more details? Your new system is also Tesla? My friend's current PPA is SolarCity/Tesla and utility company is PG&E.

I would ask your friend to look at the contract. Just because your friend "installs a system that covers 100%" that is not going to remove the generation of solar from the old system. You pay for what you generate, not what you use, so how much any new system generates will not impact in the slightest how much one is paying for the old system under the PPA.

I have 3 PV systems all still running
2002 10 kW PV purchased from EcoEnergies (now defunct)
2008 2.4 kW PV leased from SolarCity (now Tesla)
2018 Purchase 2 Powerwalls from Tesla (SGIP rebate taken)
2021 4 kW and 1 Powerwall purchased from Tesla

I'm in PG&E land.

I have 3 PV systems all still running
2002 10 kW PV purchased from EcoEnergies (now defunct)
2008 2.4 kW PV leased from SolarCity (now Tesla)
2018 Purchase 2 Powerwalls from Tesla (SGIP rebate taken)
2021 4 kW and 1 Powerwall purchased from Tesla

I'm in PG&E land.

I forget, were you bumped from NEM 1.0 to NEM 2.0 when you did the recent upgrade? Were you forced onto EV2-A TOU as well?