Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Least expensive way to get 100k mile warranty - CPO or Private Party?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for a 90D or a 100D - still early in the buying process so willing to wait a few months. I drive a lot for my job (25k miles per year) and was going to get the Mercedes E63S next year as a CPO as the warranty comes with unlimited miles. However the more I drive my wife's X, the more I realize I need to get a Tesla of my own. My ideal car would be a used one with under 20k miles AND a warranty that goes to 100k miles. Do the CPO cars warranty go to 100k miles only if they are high mileage cars? What if I bought a low mileage car from a private party - can I add the 100k mile warranty on at that time?
I still have plenty of time so I am posting this way early to start getting some ideas. My job is a 250 mile (mostly highway) journey so I am thinking the 100D will be suitable for my needs. There is a Supercharger on my route if needed if anyone is wondering. Hopefully I will be joining the club soon!

The CPO warranty is either 50k from the mileage you bought it at (under 50k miles) or up to 100k for the cars over 50k miles. So it is possible to get a CPO warranty close to 100k miles if you buy a car with right around 50k miles on it.

Private party would be the only way to get to 100k on a 20k mile vehicle, but that won't be cheap. The extended service plans (extended warranty) require all maintenance be performed on time, so you have to add in those costs too.

...Do the CPO cars warranty go to 100k miles only if they are high mileage cars?... What if I bought a low mileage car from a private party - can I add the 100k mile warranty on at that time?...

The website says:

"Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

The most warranty coverage you can get is buying a new car and then purchasing the ESA. Second most would be buying a low-mileage car from a private party who has purchased the ESA. With a CPO, the most you'll ever get is 50k miles. Unless you want to buy a new CPO in 2 years, sounds like you either need to buy a new one or a private party, low mileage car.

So no go on the CPO. But instead of finding needle in the haystack of someone who has a low mileage car AND the extended service agreement... Why couldn't I just buy a private party car of my choice "within the eligible purchase period" and then as the owner of the car, buy the ESA on my own? Seems to be within the rules no?

...just buy a private party car of my choice "within the eligible purchase period" and then as the owner of the car, buy the ESA on my own?...

Previously, you couldn't do it yourself and the prior owner had to buy it and transfer it to you.

However, the rule was changed as stated on the website and now you can as long as it is within some criteria:

1) private, not dealership.
2) less than 4 years and less than 50,000 miles.

The only asterisk is if the car was not maintained annually or every 12,500 miles, Tesla can deny selling your ESA.