Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Least-used supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"the few times I've passed through there I've usually seen at least one other car charging there. great oyster place right there"

There are a few restaurants around there, that oyster place is actually my least favourite. It's not bad, but There's another that is really good. The third is kind of pricey, but also very good.

No mention yet of Page, AZ!

I generally agree that the most likely candidates are the middle of nowhere superchargers (Lusk, Page, Farmington, Blanding, etc.), end of the road superchargers (Kingsville, Duluth, etc.), and also redundant superchargers on relatively lightly traveled interstates (Tooele, Superior, etc.). I think Lima is a decent candidate as well just because I don't think I-15 sees much traffic north of Utah.

Another interesting question would be what are the most lightly traveled sections of interstate? My guesses would be I-94 west of Fargo, the aforementioned northern stretch of I-15 and I-10 between Junction and Tucson.

No mention yet of Page, AZ!

I generally agree that the most likely candidates are the middle of nowhere superchargers (Lusk, Page, Farmington, Blanding, etc.), end of the road superchargers (Kingsville, Duluth, etc.), and also redundant superchargers on relatively lightly traveled interstates (Tooele, Superior, etc.). I think Lima is a decent candidate as well just because I don't think I-15 sees much traffic north of Utah.

Another interesting question would be what are the most lightly traveled sections of interstate? My guesses would be I-94 west of Fargo, the aforementioned northern stretch of I-15 and I-10 between Junction and Tucson.

You might looking at this page over on aaroads.

Is there a US Map that shows Interstate highway traffic volumes?

The maps are rather sketchy, and the data are several years old. But they do illustrate the traffic trends.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Someone mentioned little used ones because of being in redundant locations. There was one built in Tooele Utah that was built first, and then the Salt Lake City one was done less than a month later. Driving from the West Wendover Supercharger to the SLC one is only 125 miles. The Tooele one is 99 miles into that drive. I skipped it the first time I drove that way. The second time, I stopped there to check it out. It's very easy on and off the highway, but there's not much there. I wonder how little use it gets.

I much prefer to stop in Tooele than SLC. At night SLC is pretty scary. Nothing to eat. Tooele has a truck stop. And, it is very easy on/off I80.

Lusk WY does seem like a good candidate.

While it is true that Blanding UT and Farmington NM are less important now than they were when they were installed as part of the first coast-to-coast route, they do provide access to more than a half dozen national parks and monuments, Monument Valley, and Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico. Depending on where one is coming from.

I've been wondering how much Lima MT gets used. I-15 traffic from the south could go directly to West Yellowstone MT and traffic on I-90 could enter Yellowstone NP directly from the north. Neither route seems to really need Lima for Yellowstone access so the question then becomes how much that stretch of I-15 is used to get from I-90 to I-84 and vice versa.
Lusk becomes very active one weekend a year, for the Sounds of Silence rally in Custer, SD.

On a semi-relevant note, the Lusk Supercharger looks to be dead center on the total eclipse path coming August 21st, 2017. :)

screen-shot-2017-05-14-at-1-07-47-pm-png.226854

(Stole the graphic from @bonnie's Off Topic Thread: Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017 )

Yes, but is Lusk, WY at a solar panel SC location? THAT would be a fun photo but they don't have any of these in the Midwest or East as far as I've seen.

Until there is a Supercharger in Casper, Lusk is a useful location. I used it to get from Denver to Sheridan, WY.
It's definitely useful for that but that doesn't mean it's highly used! I saw no one there on a summer Saturday evening a couple weeks ago and I was there for an hour and a half. FWIW, I was driving Ogallala to Sheridan and used Lusk as my one charging stop. I scouted the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express in Casper on that trip as well and didn't see any signs of supercharger life.

I actually just got back from a long trip that took me to Page, Lusk and Lima, MT. Didn't see another Tesla within 100 miles of those locations, let alone at the supercharger. After getting a better feel for the surrounding areas, I think Lima actually is my best guess at least used supercharger. It is a necessary link on a cross-country (albeit north/south, not east/west) interstate, but it really struck me how lightly used that interstate was north of Idaho Falls.

Lima has five check-ins from January to date on PlugShare. It might be utilized marginally more often during snowbird season for the Albertans who choose to drive south. (Admittedly, I do not know if charging between Lima and the international border is easy and convenient--that might be a sticking point until Supercharging is completed north of Butte.)

I've been wondering how much Lima MT gets used.
It's still super-new. But I talked to the proprietor of the (perfectly nice and very cost-effective) Mountain View motel across the street and he said that it hasn't seen much use at all yet. Fun fact: the Lima, MT supercharger is in a gravel parking lot, not paved. Any other superchargers not paved?

Plus it's an 8-stall; since Lusk is just 4, does "least used" get evaluated in an absolute fashion, or on a per-stall basis. . .

Last edited:
It's still super-new. But I talked to the proprietor of the (perfectly nice and very cost-effective) Mountain View motel across the street and he said that it hasn't seen much use at all yet. Fun fact: the Lima, MT supercharger is in a gravel parking lot, not paved. Any other superchargers not paved?

Plus it's an 8-stall; since Lusk is just 4, does "least used" get evaluated in an absolute fashion, or on a per-stall basis. . .
IIRC there are unpaved superchargers in New Hampshire and Norway or something. But Lima is the only unpaved one I have been to.

Also, wrt the plugshare check-ins. They are likely a misleading metric as I think people are more likely to check in here for the novelty of it. I know I took a picture and posted on social media just because I thought the pic with the gravel lot and Jan's Cafe and the fact that I was supercharging in Lima, Montana was pretty funny.

I recently charged in Lima because I wanted a different route than going through West Yellowstone. I went through West Yellowstone on my way to Billings from Las Vegas. I wanted a different route on my return. Obviously it was further to go through Butte and Dillon. If you are heading to Salt Lake City from Spokane or western MT, Lima is a good choice for a Supercharger. Driving I-15 was also more pleasant than the route through West Yellowstone.

Oh, sorry, there is a place called Parrains on the other side of the entrance ramp that one can see behind the superchargers. I like it a lot better than Acme, but that may just be my taste buds. Galatoire's is across the parking lot, and is good but pricey. Down the way from Trader Joe's on the same strip is La Divina, a cafe and coffee shop. They have beer and wine also, and gelato. There is live music on Thursday nights early.

Yes, but if one has a bit of time after charging, there is a circular lake with a lot of fancy ould homes around it just a couple of blocks away.

I noticed the unusual lake shape and took a drive around. I once though Defuniak Springs was a fictional place; it showed up on what I thought were sample aeronautical charts. Apparently they were actual charts used to point out features on the charts. Now I've "been there, done that" (but couldn't find a t-shirt). Nice homes