Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather care / sealant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a couple of posts about the issue of dye transfer from jeans to leather (particularly white or tan leather). Has anyone found a decent product that is suitable for the kind of leather that is used in the MS? I wear jeans frequently and I haven't noticed any issues yet, but I have only had my car for a month now. So it might be a good time to add a sealant so I don't have to worry about cleaning the leather as well later.

Is the dye transfer particularly common for the types of dyes used in jeans of recent years? I'm wondering if the traditional Levi's etc. didn't have this issue since they were dyed differently? Now jeans have more pigment/dye that seems to rub off or wash off more easily.

I have tan leather in my Bimmer as well but have never had an issue, but then again the leather is different and the surface feels more porous in the MS. Would be interested to know if anyone had any experiences so far. Btw, owner's manual says not to use any conditioners etc on the leather (see bottom of link).

Meguiar's does offer a leather sealant.

Leather Pretreatment- Paging Artsci [Archive] - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

I have definitely seen some xfer from jeans - I have the sig white leather.

I just did my first cleaning using Guardian products. I have never used the products in my car but they have kept leather furniture in our house in tip-top shape.

I'll let you know if seems to ward off stains and xfer - I expect it to work well.

Have any of you considered getting sheepskin seat covers? I am planning on getting a set once I get my S, sometime this summer. I have used sheepskin covers in my BMWs and Audis over the past 20 years. Not only do they protect the leather but they also keep your butt from frying on first contact during summer or freezing on first contact during winter.

Our service centre here in Vancouver swears by Mothers leather cleaning for removal of stains. There was a pen mark on our leather when we picked up the car and it took seconds to remove it. I purchased some and had some dirt come off of a shirt and it also worked very well. For my last car and home leather I have used Pears transparent soap for years with success for general cleaning and conditioning. Used on dark grey, light grey, tan and brown leather with no discoloration.

Sheepskin is very comfortable, however I sit too tall on it so I had to take it out (I keep seat at lowest setting). Anyways... looks (and feels better without due to shape of seat).

Thanks for the tips on cleaners... I have a couple of black marks already I like to remove.