Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather gone? All interior options vegan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla has refreshed the color options for seats/interiors. Added a new "creme" color. But it seems all references to leather for the seats/seating surfaces has been removed. So it appears that perhaps all of these new color seats are the synthetic "vegan leather". Interesting if that's true

Reactions: TEG
Seems curious (or possibly a bit clumsy) that the website does not make it clear what the material is. Someone ordering for the first time might assume the seat material is leather OR might want to know what the material is. It is also interesting that the design studio still has a special message pop up on the white upholstery, saying it holds up well and so on, but nothing similar on the other colors that we know think are the same or similar material,.

It's no longer leather, yet they still charge the same premium? Sounds like a "screw the customer" move to me. Seems like we've seen a lot of this coming out of Tesla recently.
You don't think it's worth the extra cost over fabric? I think it definitely is compared to leather that we've seen can and does wrinkle *before* the first time the owner sees it! This definitely is a better answer if the new colors are equivalent to the white that has been around for a while. Another reason to get a look at one of the new production cars (X with 7 seat folddown's and now in the new black or cream).

Reactions: bhzmark
Who was the nasty that decided to call these polymer coverings "vegan leather ?"

Plastics will do fine
And speaking as a vegan-ish person with environmental sensitivities, I like plastic in my house plumbing but not as a covering where it becomes part of the great mountain of immortal trash in the ocean in just a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerjozwik
It's no longer leather, yet they still charge the same premium? Sounds like a "screw the customer" move to me. Seems like we've seen a lot of this coming out of Tesla recently. While I eat a plant-based diet myself, I think charging the same for vinyl (or whatever it is) as leather in a $70,000+ car is shameful.

Tesla says that the synthetic is the best. I also know a Model X owner with the white seats and they really like them (this owner is def not vegan either).

Is 'vegan leather' sorta like 'used virgin'?

Oxymoronic...

In any case, fabric is better for comfort. Don't believe it? Try some leather underwear...

Works for Germans...

Lederhosen.jpg