Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UGM

Oct 12, 2014
Denmark
Hi Everybody,

I pick up a 6 month old 85 approximately 2 month ago and yesterday I removed the kids car seats to clean and condition the leather for the first since I got the car. To my surprise the leather has already been worn through the top layer in one spot on the seat bottom and the scratch right above the seat belt lock that seems to original from the the seat belt having been accidentally brushed against the seat.

I most say that I am rather surprised about this because we have had the exact same child seats our BMW 5 series for the last 2 years and the rear seat looks in prefect condition.

During the cleaning and conditioning I also found the the seat bolster on the drivers seat already has cracks to a larger extent than my old car.

Are the seat really that fragile??

Fortunately the rest of the interior does not seem to be equally fragile.

What is your experience in this regard?

The above sounds like I do not appreciate the car at all. I do very much. It is a wonderful car to drive and beautiful to look at. But I am planing to hang on to it for a long time and having the leather go bad so fast is a pretty bad start with regards to long term durability.

BR
UGM

Pictures would help. Depending on how those areas were cared for and what was there, the wear and tear might be normal.

But hard to tell from just a description...please post a photo.

Also, if leather is worn, it's not the end of the world. There are great upholstery guys that can re-dye it and it will look as good as new.

These are a must:

Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

I'm now using them on the textile seats which appear to be much more resilient than the leather I had before; there was definitely wrinkling and some minor cracking on those leather seats within 19 months, 28k miles.

I removed my seat last week and wow. Only after 2 months there was mark all over the place. I bought the exact same thing from recommendation from here. Hope this will help. I have Clek seats and they have large metal rebound bar that printed in the seat badly.

These are a must:

I'm now using them on the textile seats which appear to be much more resilient than the leather I had before; there was definitely wrinkling and some minor cracking on those leather seats within 19 months, 28k miles.

^^^^^ This 100 percent. I use these every time. My child's seat headrest sits against the next gen rear seat head rest so I put a microfiber towel in between to keep it protected. If you do not have that seat secured very tightly it will rub and wear against anything no mater the best leather in the world.

When I had young ones I always put a towel under a car seat, regardless of the seat material. Even file-folder cardboard would spread out the weight of the seat/person better than the bare seat does. I've seen car seat/strollers lately that are combination units, and the car seat is only anchored to the stroller frame on two points...very big hinge thingys. I can only imagine what those would do to any seat if belted in tight.

the carseat is in and out of the back of our tesla. we bought one of those foam core bathroom mats, folded it in half, and it's a perfect fit under the carseat. no matter how hard we wrench that carseat down, no marks of any kind are left on the seats when we remove it.

These are a must:

Had those in my wife's car, not impressed. A heavy car-seat indents those seatsavers and can still probably leave marks on the seats.

I bought something different for my car, it's only been 2 months (and they're not using the same car-seats, either), so time will tell...