Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather maintenance/leather smell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i ran a search but didn't find anything too relevant, so here goes:

- What is your favorite product to clean/maintain the leather, ie seats and door panels primarily? So far I've done regular "maintenance" with a slightly damp towel and this works well, but want to give my interior an extra serving of love
- Leather smell...I know, I know, first world problem, but from experience, which product has the "best/most authentic" new leather smell?

Thank you for the pointers, much appreciated. Any experience using those on he leather-covered door panels specifically? I have ugly streaks left over from a low end "cleaner" and want to make sure I don't make things worse.

A steam cleaner, then just wipe it off. If it's heavily soiled, some leather cleaner agitated with a soft brush and wiped clean. Always finish with leather cream so it replenishes the oils of the leather. Just like your own skin and moisturizer :D

All good stuff. Have used them all (except CarPro coating) with great results. I have seen the results of CarPro and read the opinions of others, and it looks like a good product for general leather preservation.

Leather cleaners:
Connolly leather cleaner
McKee's 37 FAST Interior Detailer
Swissvax Leather Cleaner

Cleaner/Conditioners:
Kenotek Vinyl & Leather Conditioner

Protectants/Conditioners:
303 Aerospace
Wolfgang Leather Conditioner
Swissvax Leather Milk

Coatings (for the bold):
Gyeon Leather
CarPro Leather Coating

You'll likely hear people say nothing other than water and a soft cloth on interior leather.

I am in the camp that eventually the leather will dry out and crack (happened to my leather seats 30 years ago).

I use Zaino Brothers Leather in a Bottle. It has the low sheen and leather smell that appeals to me.

Let me qualify this by stating that I have 26 years of professional auto detailing experience behind me, glad I no longer do it for a profession but I do know my $#@& when it when it comes to cosmetic car maintenance. I highly recommend lexol conditioner for a general conditioning but do not recommend their cleaner as it simply does not do a good job of removing not only dirt and grime but imperfections from the leather coating that is the color a top the Hyde. new Product new product I am experimenting with that gets rave reviews on line is called Leatherique. I just recently I just recently bought a very rare street bred rally car and the leather in it is cardboard hard. Dried out big time. According to everything I've read online, Leatherique and it's cleaner brethren will do an amazing job of both do an amazing job of both cleaning, softening and re- moisturizing the leather. I have not had a chance to try it yet because the application requires a warm day so that the product can properly do its thing. Looking forward to trying this product however has it is supposed to be extremely effective. Its not cheap, I bought it on eBay for $50 for both the cleaner and the rejuvenator.

I only use products from the Leather Institute. It's the premier leather care and restoration training facility in the world. Aside from leather care products, it offers courses in leather identification, care and maintenance, color matching, repair, and complete restoration.

Thanks. Great link.

I am most interested in your (or others) attempts to remove the 'blue jean' stains from seats. Anyone use a product that specifically worked well? Thanks

Thanks. Great link.

I am most interested in your (or others) attempts to remove the 'blue jean' stains from seats. Anyone use a product that specifically worked well? Thanks

Leather Institute has cleaning wipes that probably would work and would be easy to use. For really bad stains they also have a stain remover. Only used it once and it worked like a charm.

• Informative
Reactions: AlMc
Thanks for all the great suggestions, very helpful.

So, I started with Griot's leather cleaner and it did a good job overall and the smell "works" for me, a bit strong/chemically at first but it smelled more like the real thing the next morning.

BUT, my streak is still there. Everything around it looks pristine, but that <insert expletive here> still shows, see attached.

Since this is on the door panel, I don't want to rub too hard or soak it too much, maybe that's the problem?...debating which product to try next...any suggestions? the leather institute ones seem intriguing, possibly because I had never heard of them...

Attachments

• IMG_7418.JPG
    IMG_7418.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 342
Thanks for all the great suggestions, very helpful.

So, I started with Griot's leather cleaner and it did a good job overall and the smell "works" for me, a bit strong/chemically at first but it smelled more like the real thing the next morning.

BUT, my streak is still there. Everything around it looks pristine, but that <insert expletive here> still shows, see attached.

Since this is on the door panel, I don't want to rub too hard or soak it too much, maybe that's the problem?...debating which product to try next...any suggestions? the leather institute ones seem intriguing, possibly because I had never heard of them...

I think the door panels are vinyl.