TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Leather maintenance/leather smell?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hmmm, Jan 21, 2017.

1. hmmm

hmmm Member

i ran a search but didn't find anything too relevant, so here goes:

- What is your favorite product to clean/maintain the leather, ie seats and door panels primarily? So far I've done regular "maintenance" with a slightly damp towel and this works well, but want to give my interior an extra serving of love
    - Leather smell...I know, I know, first world problem, but from experience, which product has the "best/most authentic" new leather smell?

2. Piney999

Piney999 Member

I am interested as well. Good questions!

3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

4. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

I've had great luck with Lexol leather cleaner combined with occasional use of the Lexol leather conditioner.

5. hmmm

hmmm Member

Thank you for the pointers, much appreciated. Any experience using those on he leather-covered door panels specifically? I have ugly streaks left over from a low end "cleaner" and want to make sure I don't make things worse.

6. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

A steam cleaner, then just wipe it off. If it's heavily soiled, some leather cleaner agitated with a soft brush and wiped clean. Always finish with leather cream so it replenishes the oils of the leather. Just like your own skin and moisturizer :D

7. Spyder14

Spyder14 Member

I have used Griot's products for years and 2 of my favorites are their leather cleaners and every once in a while i use their new car scents (leather or new car). Both the cleaners and scent do not give it a "fake" smell either.

• Like x 1
  8. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

All good stuff. Have used them all (except CarPro coating) with great results. I have seen the results of CarPro and read the opinions of others, and it looks like a good product for general leather preservation.

Leather cleaners:
    Connolly leather cleaner
    McKee's 37 FAST Interior Detailer
    Swissvax Leather Cleaner

Cleaner/Conditioners:
    Kenotek Vinyl & Leather Conditioner

Protectants/Conditioners:
    303 Aerospace
    Wolfgang Leather Conditioner
    Swissvax Leather Milk

Coatings (for the bold):
    Gyeon Leather
    CarPro Leather Coating

9. Terra117

Terra117 Member

You'll likely hear people say nothing other than water and a soft cloth on interior leather.

I am in the camp that eventually the leather will dry out and crack (happened to my leather seats 30 years ago).

I use Zaino Brothers Leather in a Bottle. It has the low sheen and leather smell that appeals to me.

10. abikepeddler

abikepeddler Member

Let me qualify this by stating that I have 26 years of professional auto detailing experience behind me, glad I no longer do it for a profession but I do know my $#@& when it when it comes to cosmetic car maintenance. I highly recommend lexol conditioner for a general conditioning but do not recommend their cleaner as it simply does not do a good job of removing not only dirt and grime but imperfections from the leather coating that is the color a top the Hyde. new Product new product I am experimenting with that gets rave reviews on line is called Leatherique. I just recently I just recently bought a very rare street bred rally car and the leather in it is cardboard hard. Dried out big time. According to everything I've read online, Leatherique and it's cleaner brethren will do an amazing job of both do an amazing job of both cleaning, softening and re- moisturizing the leather. I have not had a chance to try it yet because the application requires a warm day so that the product can properly do its thing. Looking forward to trying this product however has it is supposed to be extremely effective. Its not cheap, I bought it on eBay for $50 for both the cleaner and the rejuvenator.

11. lii8

lii8 Member

Anyone have experience with Colourlock products (soap, leather shield and leather protector)?

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I only use products from the Leather Institute. It's the premier leather care and restoration training facility in the world. Aside from leather care products, it offers courses in leather identification, care and maintenance, color matching, repair, and complete restoration.

13. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Thanks. Great link.

I am most interested in your (or others) attempts to remove the 'blue jean' stains from seats. Anyone use a product that specifically worked well? Thanks

14. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

My wife's car has tan leather seats and jeans constantly leave blue marks on the seats. I've found that the Lexol cleaner removes the stains easily with a microfiber cloth.

• Like x 1
  15. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Leather Institute has cleaning wipes that probably would work and would be easy to use. For really bad stains they also have a stain remover. Only used it once and it worked like a charm.

• Informative x 1
  16. 55lh55

55lh55 Member

17. hmmm

hmmm Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions, very helpful.

So, I started with Griot's leather cleaner and it did a good job overall and the smell "works" for me, a bit strong/chemically at first but it smelled more like the real thing the next morning.

BUT, my streak is still there. Everything around it looks pristine, but that <insert expletive here> still shows, see attached.

Since this is on the door panel, I don't want to rub too hard or soak it too much, maybe that's the problem?...debating which product to try next...any suggestions? the leather institute ones seem intriguing, possibly because I had never heard of them...

Attached Files:

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think the door panels are vinyl.

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I use Griot's products also with great results.

20. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It depends on if you have the PUP package.