TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leather Option on Base Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rlawson4, Apr 29, 2012.

1. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

I have been debating (like many others) the base model S vs. performance. The problem for me is that I want 19" wheels, but I want some of the other appointments of the performance S. One issue is the leather option. The website seems to point out a major difference between the leather "throughout" on the performance S and the leather seat option for the base. Can someone who has seen the difference post about it? I don't want to spend this much on a car and have it look cheap inside. I would upgrade to performance to avoid that. However, it seems a waste for me otherwise since I want 19" wheels and don't need 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. I am a moderate driver my nature. Thanks.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I don't think we've seen any production series cars yet, so unable to tell the exact differences. Some things appear to be still in flux besides.

I think you'll have a chance before having to commit to an order though.

For Signature series, there are supposed to be lots of leather throughout. Dash, doors, etc. The Google event had micro-fiber seats that appeared to be bolted into a Signature car, so it was micro-fiber with leather accents in the car and therefore maybe not fully representative.

Maybe the design studio gives a clue... other than the seats being different in the perf I see no difference between regular, perf and sig perf when choosing piano black and leather interior.

So maybe there is no difference.

3. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

That's why it's tough to decide. In the design studio I cannot see the difference. I suppose I just need to wait until non-sig owners start getting the car.

4. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

One of the Tesla reps at Santana Row told me that almost all of the extended leather replaces faux leather. He showed me samples of both and I couldn't tell the difference by sight and only slightly by feel. Of course, it's possible that he was just showing me two samples of the same leather :)

5. swegman

swegman Member

I was told that the regular model S has a lower quality leather, and does not include leather on the door panels and lower dash.

I'm in a similar position. I have a Signature reservation and a Production reservation. I can't use the 21 wheels on the Signature and Production Performance models, but do not like the perforated leather of the Signature non-Performance model, or the "cheaper" leather interior of the regular Production model. I'm already paying about $5,800 premium (for the Signature Performace model) to get the red paint (I don't want the white leather interior), but object to essentially paying an additional $3,500 for the 21 tires/wheels that I can't use. I'm hoping Tesla will come to their senses on this, or I will have to defer or cancel the orders.

Tesla told me they want me to be happy with the car and do not want me to buy it if I will not be satisfied with it. Yet they make it impossible to configure the regular Production car with the same interior as the Performance and Signature models (but for the wheels and tires).

6. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

My position is a little less extreme. I am still buying. I would appreciate a small credit for switching to 19" wheels on the performance model. I am sure once I see both the regular and performance I will be able to decide. I think a credit would be fair but I don't always expect fair.