Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather peeling on steering wheel cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the way to work I saw some dust resting on my steering wheel cover near the Tesla logo. While trying to brush off the dust, I found even more dust around the logo. I soon realized that it wasn't dust that was sitting on the steering wheel cover, but the leather was peeling, and me wiping the steering wheel cover with my fingers had caused more peeling to happen.

From far away it looks like dust. Notice how they are exactly 1/8 inch away from the logo

On closer inspection, you can see how the leather is peeling off.

I've contacted Tesla and they will have someone from the servicing team drop by for repair. Hopefully this is a one off issue. Otherwise, keep an eye out for possible defects on the steering wheel cover.

Last 5 digit on my VIN is 147XX.

Highly doubt that is leather. Most likely some kind of rubberized plastic as the airbag is under that part. Should be easy fix, just swap out the whole center airbag module.
Yeah only the steering wheel is leather on all Tesla's, but I figured it's easier to just say leather than to phrase it in a way that makes people imagine rubber or plastic peeling.