TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leather Pretreatment- Paging Artsci

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by retinadoc, Mar 5, 2013.

1. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

The only regret I have about my Model S is getting the tan leather. It looks great but it is really a light shade and will not hide even a minor smudge. Are there any scotch guard equivalent products for leather interiors? I read the thread on leather care and I purchased the products recommended by Artsci, but these seem mainly for cleaning after a stain. The alantra side bolsters and headliner also seem to pose unique cleaning issues. Thoughts?

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#2 artsci, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Let me check with my sources at Townsend Leather. As soon as I know something worthwhile I'll post it. Which of their products did you buy and use to try to remove dirt and smudges? The cleaner for finished leather looks to be designed for normal cleaning and it's not included in the leather care kit I recommended. Townsend works with the Leather Institute to develop these products.

3. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

I ordered both the spray cleaner and the protector cream. I also ordered the ink remover, I figure it may save one of kid's lives in the event of a back pack disaster.:eek:

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'll be talking about this with someone at the Leather Institute tomorrow, so I should have some good info and advice then.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#5 artsci, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Just got off the phone with senior man at the Leather Institute. He told me that automotive leather has two finishes: color and clear coat. Likely any difficult-to-remove stains or smudges are due to dye transfer from clothes -- this can happen with jeans, belts, skirts, and any other fabric or material with a dye that hasn't been properly finished. The dye just transfers to the leather clear coat surface. It's often difficult to remove.

To remove these kinds of stains and smudges he recommends very carefully rubbing the surface with a 3M Scotch-Brite White cleansing pad. The pad is mildly abrasive, so that's why great care is needed.

As for protective sprays such as ScotchGaurd he says that some manufacturers already coat their leather with it. He wasn't sure about Tesla, but thinks probably not. But he said not to spray it on the Tesla seats as the chemical interactions are unknown with Tesla's leather finish. He also said that the Leather Institute will in a few months be offering a protectant for this purpose. They also sell rub-in colors in many shades and even custom-match a color. These may be perfect for those having issues with premature wear of the side bolsters.

The Leather Institute sells a ton of leather car products. I highly recommend them as a source for your leather care products. Go here to see them all.

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

My recollection is that Tesla uses ScotchGuard or the like on the Sig White and the tan interior leather, but not on the gray or black.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If so then it's ok to reapply after the white Scotch-Brite treatment.

8. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

@artsci thanks for the information. The Leather Institute has a lot of great looking products.

9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

FWIW, here's what the Model S Owners Guide says:

10. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

Thank you Artsci et. al. The depth of useful information available from forum members never ceases to amaze me.