Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather Seat Cleaning - Need Help!

dwoo0418

Nov 17, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hello TMC, I started to notice my seats getting stains because of my sunscreen usage (I think). I tried a normal leather cleaner without much success. Any recommendations/tips? Thanks!

Attachments

• 3C710EAF-AA91-43BE-A466-21E9F4919850.jpeg
    3C710EAF-AA91-43BE-A466-21E9F4919850.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 23

BrianS85

Dec 1, 2018
San Diego, CA
How aggressive did you get with the scrubbing? I clean my leather with 303 multi purpose cleaner and scrub the crap out of it to get all the grease and dirt off with a scrub brush.
This article was very helpful (I am not affiliated) when I was trying to figure out how to clean a leather seat. Clean leather car seats with tips from the professional detailer!

having said that, your staining almost looks more like some kind of chemical discoloration. I would still just try more elbow grease and a scrub brush with an all purpose cleaner.

dwoo0418

Nov 17, 2017
Orange County, CA
How aggressive did you get with the scrubbing? I clean my leather with 303 multi purpose cleaner and scrub the crap out of it to get all the grease and dirt off with a scrub brush.
This article was very helpful (I am not affiliated) when I was trying to figure out how to clean a leather seat. Clean leather car seats with tips from the professional detailer!

having said that, your staining almost looks more like some kind of chemical discoloration. I would still just try more elbow grease and a scrub brush with an all purpose cleaner.
Thanks for the tip. I haven’t gone aggressive yet because I didn’t want to damage the leather. I just bought the chemical guys cleaner and conditioner. Hoping that works...

aerodyne

Nose cone car - "Going Plaidish?"
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Thanks for the tip. I haven’t gone aggressive yet because I didn’t want to damage the leather. I just bought the chemical guys cleaner and conditioner. Hoping that works...
Strongly recommend NOT to use any cleaners except water and microfiber as per the Manual.

BrianS85

Dec 1, 2018
San Diego, CA
Strongly recommend NOT to use any cleaners except water and microfiber as per the Manual.
He should definitely start with that but if it’s not working then he won’t have much choice but to try other methods. I thought scrubbing leather seats was insane when I first read the article but it worked.

aerodyne

Nose cone car - "Going Plaidish?"
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
He should definitely start with that but if it’s not working then he won’t have much choice but to try other methods. I thought scrubbing leather seats was insane when I first read the article but it worked.
Sure, there is abrasive methods like magic eraser and such, but you remove the protective film bit by bit.

I reccommend a Seat Towel to avoid dirt and stains when not wearing clean clothes.

BrianS85

Dec 1, 2018
San Diego, CA
Sure, there is abrasive methods like magic eraser and such, but you remove the protective film bit by bit.

I reccommend a Seat Towel to avoid dirt and stains when not wearing clean clothes.
Ah, so actually I agree with you on the magic eraser. That’s pretty abrasive and should be done with caution. That would be last on my list of things to try, if at all. A good horse hair brush really just agitates the cleaner to help lift the stain.

Curious to see if he can get this out. Keep us posted.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC