Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather vs. synthetic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just googled it and see there is a difference between the two types of fake leather PU and PVC, not sure if most people would know which is which by the names though if you asked anyone. I believe that most people would know the difference between true Nappa leather which is aniline leather and painted leather like Dakota leather on lower line BMW seats. I’m not sure what grade Tesla was using.

Leather was considered premium because we didn't know how to build anything better. Now it's more like the fake columns on the front of houses. Even my 1998 Mercedes had the Tex hold up absolutely fantastically, and I preferred it at the time. The Tesla material feels better and so far it's holding up great. It's not "fake leather" so much as "real quality seat covering".

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
What seat material downgrade? The synthetic material is amazing. So long as it's available, I never want leather again. It's easier to clean, softer, and looks great.
Not only softer, it has a cushy feel thats difficult to explain. Love these seats. Leaps and bounds better than leather that would already have began to show wear on the driver's side entry point ... also know as ingress?... Not a lawyer so pardon the technical wording.

I just googled it and see there is a difference between the two types of fake leather PU and PVC, not sure if most people would know which is which by the names though if you asked anyone. I believe that most people would know the difference between true Nappa leather which is aniline leather and painted leather like Dakota leather on lower line BMW seats. I’m not sure what grade Tesla was using.
"Nappa" leather (and the BMW "Dakota" leather) is a marketing term. At the most, it describes the grain of the material. It certainly does not describe the type or grade of leather, nor the tanning method. Like I said before, only the highest of high end cars use noncoated leather.

• Informative
Reactions: Huskyfan
8A863A80-D2BF-4842-AC11-9F653BAAB0BA.jpeg
"Nappa" leather (and the BMW "Dakota" leather) is a marketing term. At the most, it describes the grain of the material. It certainly does not describe the type or grade of leather, nor the tanning method. Like I said before, only the highest of high end cars use noncoated leather.
There is a drastic difference in the grade of BMW Dakota and Nappa Leather. I think the Tesla seat material is nice and definitely as good as or better than the base pleather seats in other brand cars. Of course “Vegan, Nappa and Dakota" are marketing terms, Vegan Leather is a marketing term for Tesla’s simulated leather. I would think they add leather to the name to make people think is on the quality level of a leather product and because of that more upscale. The BMW Merino and Nappa leather is surprisingly on par with high end cars where the Dakota is something that could easily be confused with fake leather. I was in a new Rolls Royce (a BMW product) yesterday and the leather in it is very high end but also very similar to the better BMW leathers. The BMW Nappa and BMW Merino (only special order, with additional colors) are dyed full grain aniline leather, the Nappa then gets a very light clear coat for added durability, because of the clear coating it is then called semi-aniline leather. I attached a picture of an X5 Mocha Nappa Leather interior, my last X5 had this interior but with added ventilation seats, extremely nice, smooth, buttery soft leather. Tesla should shoot for interiors on par with this.

View attachment 275703
There is a drastic difference in the grade of BMW Dakota and Nappa Leather. I think the Tesla seat material is nice and definitely as good as or better than the base pleather seats in other brand cars. Of course “Vegan, Nappa and Dakota" are marketing terms, Vegan Leather is a marketing term for Tesla’s simulated leather. I would think they add leather to the name to make people think is on the quality level of a leather product and because of that more upscale. The BMW Merino and Nappa leather is surprisingly on par with high end cars where the Dakota is something that could easily be confused with fake leather. I was in a new Rolls Royce (a BMW product) yesterday and the leather in it is very high end but also very similar to the better BMW leathers. The BMW Nappa and BMW Merino (only special order, with additional colors) are dyed full grain aniline leather, the Nappa then gets a very light clear coat for added durability, because of the clear coating it is then called semi-aniline leather. I attached a picture of an X5 Mocha Nappa Leather interior, my last X5 had this interior but with added ventilation seats, extremely nice, smooth, buttery soft leather. Tesla should shoot for interiors on par with this.
You are missing the point. All of these names for leather are just that, names. They don't mean anything from one car manufacturer to another. If you go and try and buy a "Nappa" leather hide, you will find that you can buy it in any grade, thickness, and quality that you want to spend money on.

You are missing the point. All of these names for leather are just that, names. They don't mean anything from one car manufacturer to another. If you go and try and buy a "Nappa" leather hide, you will find that you can buy it in any grade, thickness, and quality that you want to spend money on.
I’m not sure what you think I’m missing. I’m not disagreeing, but the term Nappa is an accepted industry term for soft smooth leather and it is typically reserved for the higher leather trim in autos. I’m not going out to buy leather at a leather market nor is any typical car buyer. They only get what the manufacturer is offering. In Tesla’s case they used to offer leather and decided the customers wouldnt get a choice, another take it or leave it option. The actual material costs make up a small part of the final product cost and I think Tesla should have stepped up their game and offered a better grade of real leather. They probably just made a deal with one supplier who was already supplying the white and got a great deal to use one product across the board.

Last edited: