Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leathergate for new P85D orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Im excited to have placed my order for a grey p85d yesterday. Even got my VIN today. Im really happy but one of the things that really irked me was that P85D orderers who also wanted the premium package, were essentially being charged twice for the alcantara headliner. Since it's already standard on the p85D, the premium package should reflect a corrected price without the cost of the headliner. In fact if you build any other model and try to add the headliner and premium package, your total cost shows that you will only be charged once for the headliner ( it accounts for choosing alcantara once and once only.) While I know this has been discussed, I figured I'd send a few emails to my sales rep and even DS. They said they would 'talk' to their managers and HQ about this and they had no idea about it but can definitely see where this seems like a mistake.

Basically the Premium package for P85D owners as is should be 5K minus the $$$ cost of alcantara headliner. If it's black that would be about $1500.. If it's cream $750 (i dont remember for sure).

Liftgate drama aside, for those who just ordered the P85D under the new pricing model, and happened to order the premium package, maybe a good idea to reach out to your DS or Sales rep and let them know it hasn't gone unnoticed.. If you haven't ordered, I would definitely hold out until they figure this all out..

I know there's rumor of another change to the premium package options possibly tomorrow, but it never hurts to have a polite conversation about it with Tesla now..

yeah I'm with you.
I spotted this as well.

One guy on here said his salesrep told him the Premium package was incorrectly priced and should be $3500 not $5000.
I wonder if that referred to the Alcantara on the P85D.

Where's this rumor about change to the Premium pack tomorrow then please?

I got my P85D order confirmed just before the new option packages and pricing were released. I did not order the Premium Package because at the time it was $3000 for slightly more leather and better interior lighting and I thought it was not worth it. So I got the Tech Package, Pano, Gen 2, Alcantara Headliner Air Suspension, Spoiler, and High-Fidelity Sound. Add in the subzero and multicoat red paint and my cost including destination and doc. prep is $122,920.

Under the new pricing and packages, if Tesla were to give me $1500 off on the Premium Package reflecting the black alcantara headliner included with the base cost of my P85D, my new cost including the Premium Package would be $124,700. Would I pay $1,780 extra for the "higher quality interior materials and lighting" in the Premium Package? Yes, at that price the package finally looks reasonable.

Tesla should really make this happen.

I dont want to jinx it but I've heard from two Tesla reps that Tesla corporate is very aware of this and will "make it right" for everyone. Basically Tesla has restored my faith. I was told to stay tuned for further updates and specifics, but they agree about the whole Leathergate mistake.

Yes, it definitely seems like P85D buyers pay twice for alcantara under the newest price book.

With a S85D on order, I'm a bit miffed that the combined price of the tech and premium packages on the newest price book is less than I paid for the old tech package plus alcantara, but presumably now includes more (all the things in the old premium interior package too). Not to mention other decreases in the base car price and panoramic roof (partially offset by a couple of smaller price increases in other things). Overall, the car would now be a couple of thousand dollars less expensive.... Oh well, could have gone the other way I suppose....

They've now dropped the price of the Premium Package to $3,000. If they gave P85D owners a credit for the $1500 of Alcantara headliner they are already paying for, the package would actually look like a great deal.

Edit Never mind, alcantara headliner is now no longer included with the P85D so everybody pays for the Premium package if they want alcantara. Sounds fair to me. Anybody think the additional leather and lighting in the Premium Pack is worth the $1,280 difference in price versus my old purchase order without it?

Last edited: