TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leave AC on without app?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Stimyg, May 27, 2013.

1. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

Is there a way to leave the car locked, with the AC on, without using the app? I ask because I will be in an area where there is no 3G signal and I'd like to leave the dog in the car while I hike.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Not sure, but I'd be careful of this. Even using the app the AC goes off after 30 mins I believe. Don't hike for long!

3. hans

hans P631

Nope. Don't do it.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No, it will turn off automatically after the doors lock.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

Neutral + Parking break + Doors locked remotely via key? Someone can break the Window and take your car for a joy-ride though... if they know it's on. Maybe throw a blanket over the console.

On the 30 mins thing, you can always create an app controlled by something like Azure or AWS to periodically (3 mins?) monitor the A/C and turn it back on if it got turned off, then create a web site frontend for it to control from the car's browser. You can also send an SMS to yourself if it can't control/contact the car for some reason.

If Tesla doesn't come up with something that gives more flexible control soon, I'll create such a web service myself. Not quite inspired to do that yet, as my dog is still young and is likely to chew on the interior if we leave him alone in the car...

I'm also hoping that Tesla will have 3rd party API access directly to the console within a year or two, which would allow a more reliably system than a web service.

6. efxjim

efxjim Member

Been looking to do this. I would like an app that runs the climate control no matter the status of doors, locks or seats. It would be good to use for camping.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The beautiful thing about this problem and the Model S is that it can all be solved in software if enough people want it and/or Tesla decides to do it. I think a 'start AC at X time and run for 1 hour' or something would be a nice feature you could to as you exit the car.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Why not take the dog with you? Pretty sure he'll appreciate it. :wink:

9. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

Leaving a door open would keep the ac on, ran into that once when a door opened on its own while parked..
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

But then the dog will run away.....

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Doesn't work for me. It kicks off every 15 minutes or whatever, just like the radio and the 12V.