Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave car plugged in at home when not away for a few days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the advice is to leave the car plugged in everyday, as a daily driver, when its parked but what about when it's not going to be used for a few days. I.E. kind of like when folks drive to the airport and come back a few days later. Yes, I have other cars (non EV) that, for now, we utilize for some of our trips. My wife's parent's live in the TN hollow (aka sticks) and the nearest SC is about 60 miles. For this trip we are leaving my Model 3 at home with it charged up to my daily limit. So, my question is ... Do I leave it plugged in while we're gone for 3-4 days or unplug it until we return? I know if it is unplugged it'll lose some range (maybe 5-10%... wild guess) but I'm not worried about that cause I have 30+ mrph charging in my garage. Appreciate the forums wise advice.

I know the advice is to leave the car plugged in everyday, as a daily driver, when its parked but what about when it's not going to be used for a few days. I.E. kind of like when folks drive to the airport and come back a few days later. Yes, I have other cars (non EV) that, for now, we utilize for some of our trips. My wife's parent's live in the TN hollow (aka sticks) and the nearest SC is about 60 miles. For this trip we are leaving my Model 3 at home with it charged up to my daily limit. So, my question is ... Do I leave it plugged in while we're gone for 3-4 days or unplug it until we return? I know if it is unplugged it'll lose some range (maybe 5-10%... wild guess) but I'm not worried about that cause I have 30+ mrph charging in my garage. Appreciate the forums wise advice.
Do they have a clothes dryer anywhere close enough to plug into? Adaptor and you are golden.

It really doesn't matter. I haven't plugged mine in since Sunday, but you'll also have the folks quoting "A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla"
Well, yes... they are quoting that, because Tesla wrote that. So if he wants to know what Tesla thinks instead of us random forum members, that's the answer.

Not sure why you don't think the TN is possible to drive to. 60 miles away gets you in with a lot of battery and you can always charge off of 120V. Not fast, but works.

Maybe it's 60 miles past where he's stopping and doesn't want a 120-mile detour? ... but ya, 120V can replenish a lot over a weekend visit. It's not as slow as Tesla says in their charts.

It's about 5 mph on 120V

It really doesn't matter. I haven't plugged mine in since Sunday, but you'll also have the folks quoting "A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla"
Yep, I've read about the 'Happy Tesla' quote a few time. ;)

Not sure why you don't think the TN is possible to drive to. 60 miles away gets you in with a lot of battery and you can always charge off of 120V. Not fast, but works.
Oh, I know it's possible but I prefer not to drive to the SC (60 miles one way) while we are visiting family just to turn around, after the 20 minute charge, and be down 60+ miles when I get back to their house. It's not your typical modern house as the driveway is, at least, a hundred feet from the 120v outlet (and possibly the 240v, which I think is in their basement). I could probably do it but not for this trip. I'm going to check out my options for future trips. May have to see what the cost of a long 240v type cord is for their dryer plug option.

As for leaving it plugged in if you leave it, yes. I'd set the charge target a bit lower than where you are at so it's not dropping a ton in case something weird happens. But at 80% for a few days probably doesn't even hurt to just set it at 50% and let it drain to wherever.

BUT ...

I'd try for 5mph 120V charging while you are gone ... 3-4 days of overnights will get you plenty of range added. Enough for some local driving and your return trip first leg. 3nts x 12hrs x 5mph = 180 miles. 4 nights is 240 miles or 100% of an SR+.

Plus if you are visiting at all and staying at the house where 120V is, you'll get more than 12 hours of charging in on that day.

I believe they have one in their walkout basement and the gravel driveway is about 50 feet from the door. If I were to get a long cord and take my 14-50 adapter then it might work. I'm going to do some checking on what they have and where it's located.

The amount of gas cost saved might actually cover any expenses you need to spend on extension cords or adapters!

I haven't done any in-depth research but I'm guessing that a long extension cord (to use for my 14-50 NEAM adapter) would be around $200. Right now, not sure if I want to invest in that option if we only visit twice a year.

Is 50 feet as close as you can get to any power, or just 50 feet to the higher voltage power, but closer to 120V?

At 25-50' 120V extension you are looking at pretty cheap for a decent gauge one that will still get you 5mph charging or 60 miles/12hr night.
~$40 on Amazon for 50'

A 50' 14-50 extension is more.

How far is your trip roundtrip, and how much does gas cost where you are? If it paid me back in a couple trips I'd do it.

The 50' 120V would probably get paid back in one trip for sure.

I haven't done any in-depth research but I'm guessing that a long extension cord (to use for my 14-50 NEAM adapter) would be around $200. Right now, not sure if I want to invest in that option if we only visit twice a year.
Any RV parks nearby and what part of TN? My dad was from the Columbia, TN area I say that cause not many folks know where Tottys Bend is, out in the sticks west of Columbia. Do you use www.ABETERROUTEPLANNER.COM ? It would show RV parks. And I take it the house is not on flat land, not much of that in TN, cows have shorter legs on one side, am I right?

And as far as adaptors go this has been one of my favorite toy stores, in addition to Amazon.

NEMA 14-50 Adapters for EVs – EVSE Adapters

One more question. What was the construction year on the house? Pre or Post 1996. Makes a difference on the dryer connections. Are they on a well or "city" water. That could be an option depending on the reach of the pump house electrical.

Last edited:
I
Is 50 feet as close as you can get to any power, or just 50 feet to the higher voltage power, but closer to 120V?

At 25-50' 120V extension you are looking at pretty cheap for a decent gauge one that will still get you 5mph charging or 60 miles/12hr night.
~$40 on Amazon for 50'

A 50' 14-50 extension is more.

How far is your trip roundtrip, and how much does gas cost where you are? If it paid me back in a couple trips I'd do it.

The 50' 120V would probably get paid back in one trip for sure.
It’s about 30-40 feet from where I could park to the closest outlet, 120v, inside the walkout basement. Also, it is an older house. I believe built sometime during the early to late 1970’s. If I drive it to their house in the future I’ll have to buy the $50 foot extension on Amazon you mentioned. The trip is 400 miles each way to their house. The last SC I could charged at is about 60 miles from their house. So, I could charge up to 90-95% (approx 275-280 miles) and once I reach their house I should have about ~200 miles remaining due to lots of curves and steep graded roads.

Any RV parks nearby and what part of TN? My dad was from the Columbia, TN area I say that cause not many folks know where Tottys Bend is, out in the sticks west of Columbia. Do you use www.ABETERROUTEPLANNER.COM ? It would show RV parks. And I take it the house is not on flat land, not much of that in TN, cows have shorter legs on one side, am I right?

And as far as adaptors go this has been one of my favorite toy stores, in addition to Amazon.

NEMA 14-50 Adapters for EVs – EVSE Adapters

One more question. What was the construction year on the house? Pre or Post 1996. Makes a difference on the dryer connections. Are they on a well or "city" water. That could be an option depending on the reach of the pump house electrical.
North of I-40 on SR127 near the KY/TN border. Yes, the house was built in the 70’s.

Here's the plug I can use that's just inside their walk-in basement door about 15-20 feet from the driveway. What adapter do I need? I didn't see one that matches it when I looked at the Tesla home charging guide page.

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_170211.jpg
    IMG_20190914_170211.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 109