Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave car plugged in at home when not away for a few days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car always takes care of that no matter what. It monitors the state of the 12V battery, and if it is getting low, it will do a little top off from the main battery pack. That is actually what is going on when people see that the main battery "lost" 2 or 3 rated miles overnight. All of that idle draw is 12V loads from the computer systems. And that pulls from the 12V battery. So a few times a day, it is having to refill that out of the main battery pack.
Thanks appreciate the info.

Here's the plug I can use that's just inside their walk-in basement door about 15-20 feet from the driveway. What adapter do I need? I didn't see one that matches it when I looked at the Tesla home charging guide page.
That young man is a NEMA 10-50 you are good. Take a look at this short adapter a NEMA 10-50P to 14-50R and a 75' 14-50 Extension Cord

NEMA 10-50P to 14-50R Adapter for EV – EVSE Adapters

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for EV, 75 ft. – EVSE Adapters

Also, I recommend printing this out and pasting to the garage wall for future reference, it will help.

1024px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

Here's the plug I can use that's just inside their walk-in basement door about 15-20 feet from the driveway. What adapter do I need? I didn't see one that matches it when I looked at the Tesla home charging guide page.
Has this circuit been in use recently?
Breaker condition?
How far to the nearest electrical hardware store if it's aged out?
Always have to have a "Plan B". Angus Macgyver taught me that.

I haven't done any in-depth research but I'm guessing that a long extension cord (to use for my 14-50 NEAM adapter) would be around $200. Right now, not sure if I want to invest in that option if we only visit twice a year.
Keep in mind that this location you're visiting now may not be the only pothole you have to fix in the lifetime of ownership of an EV. Look at it as an investment in less stress for the future, like having an ACE up the sleeve while playing poker in Vegas, while others are sweating it you will have a "getter done" smile. A good quality NEMA 14-50 extension cord can solve a lot of potential problems. May not need to carry it every day but when you are out "road tripping" it sure is good to have one on-board, just like a spare tire and a good jack, which I recommend as well.